Advice on AM roundtables and such

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7UUU, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so glad you finally found the noise problem. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

The new style battery tenders make noise, the old style did not.
    The old ones were heavy (transformer) the new ones are light...

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the most frustrating noise problems I have is here, out in the country, beginning back during the law 'n order era of the late 60s and early 70s, the power company launched a propaganda campaign to convince every customer they needed to install a "security light" (one's very own sodium or mercury vapour street light) on their property, to keep the bogey man away. Not only do the damned things pollute what used to be dark night sky in rural areas, they generate a tremendous amount of RFI for about 20 seconds when they first ignite during start up. They use a photocell that automatically turns them on at sunset and off at sunrise. For several minutes around the time of sunset forget any kind of weak-signal reception on 160 and 80m while dozens of lights in the immediate area begin to switch on. But the greatest problem is that the control circuit has a tendency to crap out so that the lights stay on for a few minutes then go out, and the whole start-up cycle is repeated. This continues all night long: frying sounding RF buzz for about 20 seconds, 2-3 minutes of silence, then another 20 seconds of buzz, followed by 2-3 minutes of silence, etc. etc. As soon as the power company fixes one, it's not long before another one somewhere else acts up and the same old QRM starts up again. Worse still, sometimes there may be two or more of the things within earshot acting up at the same time. We've had to put up with this crap ever since I moved back here in 1979.

When we first moved here there was one here. I found the bright, yellow light highly annoying, and the first time it started cycling on and off, I called the power company and had them remove it, saving us about $10 a month on the power bill.

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

And please everyone....no quick draw Mcgraw PTT behavior. There may be someone weak or with a middlin' signal wanting to join. But, no one can hear them if you key up a split second after the last person unkeys.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That may depend on whether or not the operators in the existing QSO want to accept others into the conversation. Sometimes when a couple of ops have an in-depth discussion going over a specific topic, they don't want to be interrupted by someone looking for a signal report, wanting to talk about the weather, or someone who will ignore the discussion at hand and change the subject altogether. The "quick draw Mcgraw PTT" could be interpreted as the phone equivalent to "KN" on CW.

I would add that everyone in a QSO should strive to stay as closely as possible to zero-beat with other stations, unless one of the stations is crystal controlled. In that case, others in the QSO should zero-beat the xtal controlled station. Of course, if two or more stations are using xtals, some off-frequency operation will have to be tolerated. A problem with off-frequency operation is that this causes the QSO to occupy more channel space than necessary, given the bandwidths of the signals. If two stations inadvertently double, the heterodyne makes it more difficult to read either station, and a breaking station off frequency may not be readable through the station transmitting and will be ignored. This is particularly problematic with those using a synchronous detector at the receiver. An off-frequency station will be heard as a heterodyne descending in pitch as the sync detector seeks and locks onto the carrier. Usually by the time the signal is locked on, the breaking station has already given his callsign.

It seems that the art of zero-beating is lost on many of to-day's hams. I have even had a couple to ask me to explain what I was talking about when I used the term "zero-beat"! Many of those who use transceivers on AM just tune in closely enough inside the bandpass that the signal is readable, without checking exact frequency, which sometimes may end up 2 kc/s or more off from the other station(s) in the contact. AM operators should be equally conscientious about operating on frequency as SSB operators.

W7UUU, AG5CK and WZ5Q like this.
  6. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the Northeast, roundtable and break-in styles of operating are common on AM. A pet peeve of mine is when you are operating roundtable AM, as opposed to break-in, and a newcomer joins (often hijacking the QSO), changes the topic and insists that we operate break-in because he just doesn't like roundtables. I feel the joiner should respect the style of operating of the existing QSO. If he doesn't like the style, he should move to another frequency and start his own QSO with whatever operating style he prefers with other like-minded ops and not try to change what someone else established.

Thank you... rant off.. for now :)

WD4IGX, W1TRY, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  7. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same pet peeve about people trying to hijack the frequency. I've been talking to people break in style and someone that joins in tries to get everyone in order and back at the round table because that's how they think AM has to be done.

I do enjoy the round table format when its just 2 or 3 of people who can keep the conversation rolling. I don't enjoy it when someone drags out a transmission for 10 minutes when they only have 2 minutes worth of content.

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah...where else have I seen this kind of behavior?

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

There are all kinds on the air.
    Many are getting old and it shows.
    You have to take the good with the bad, cut others some slack, and remember you should have plenty of time in the future
    to talk about whatever. Its just ham radio...
    Its not like anyone has anything vital to say.

A round table over three gets out of control if all are old buzzards.
    Break in is fine for large groups.
    Its kind of rude to try and join a round table with 4 or 5 people already in it.
    I sometimes just break in and say I am listening, if it gets turned over to me fine, if not, I can wait till some drop out or just listen.

I consider most on the air as friends, and friends let things slide some, no?

K6LPM, AC0OB and WD0BCT like this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

On QRZ :D

Dave
    W7UUU