Advice needed for Yaesu Ft100D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by K1MRX, Nov 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. K1MRX

K1MRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to Amateur Radio. I purchased a used Yaesu FT100D. I am working on getting an HF antenna. I will be running the radio off of a battery because I don't have a DC power supply yet. I want to be able to hook my radio up to my computer. I have a Lenovo laptop running windows 10. I want to be able to control the radio, but the biggest priority would be to have a spectrum analyzer and a waterfall display. I'm mainly interested in voice communication and CW. I know I can buy a bluetooth to Cat connector for cheap or even just a cat cable. But I need to know what software is out there. I have seen ham radio deluxe and I don't want to spend $100 for it. From what I can tell it only does the waterfall display in psk31 etc. I have done a little research into SDR-radio software, but I'm not sure if I can hookup my radio to it. I basically have no money to put into this project. Any advice on how to go about getting a spectrum analyzer and water fall display for my FT100D?

2. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Free software, a $10 cat cable and a $20 sdr dongle will get you most of the way, but the biggest hurdle will be to tap the 1st IF in the radio and bring that out to connect to the dongle. You will likely need a little buffer amplifier like a PAT70 for that, although there's basically zero room inside the case to locate it. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't know anyone who has done it. I'll dig around the schematics later and see if there's a reasonable place to tap it.

I will also tell you that the FT-100D does not like to be run off batteries. It wants the full 13.8vdc that a car alternator will produce. SSB audio will be distorted at common 12.6vdc battery voltage. I have two of them. For data modes you might be ok if you turn the power output down from the full 100w.