Advice/direction on mobile HF..

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4EYZ, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've run a 706G mobile for many years. (like an idiot I sold a perfectly good rig) Got a wild hair and bought another G model from an estate sale that looked absolutely brand new. Looked like it spent its life in a box. Little did I know it was fraught with issues. Spent some money getting the tx straightened out but still low output on 2 at 10 watts. I could live with that. Yesterday the rx crapped out and is at least most likely the common vco trimmer issue that is common with early G models. In the early stages of this saga, I spent more money and bought a new AH4 and installed it in my truck along with a tall whip. Ran one years ago and liked it. So now I'm kinda invested in an Icom mobile hf install. Not sure how much more to invest in this 706 since the radio is getting long in the tooth. Leaning towards ditching Icom all together and going with a new Yaesu FT-891 or possibly a 857D. Yaesu offers a 3 yr warranty on the 891. But if I go that route is there a way to take advantage of my new AH4? I can install an extra 2m mobile and cover that, not much 440 activity here anyway.
    And of course I've got to do something with the 706 since it's worth nothing as is. But I'm a bit scared of keeping it after it's repaired (if I repair it). Could use some personal experience/direction here.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite mobile radios for HF are the IC-7200 and IC-7100. I ran an 857 for several years, and it's fine as long as you put decent filters in it. The new DSP radios are a better deal in terms of performance/$. The 897 didn't do well in A**L testing, so use caution if you are tempted to go that route.

The 7200 has the best performance I have seen in a mobile HF rig so far, but the 7100 is a decent second place, and it is much easier to mount in a vehicle permanently.

My favorite mobile tuner for a 100W radio is the SG-237. Pair it with a CB whip, and it performs very well from 80m to 10m.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think if you drive far enough north, it gets colder.

That's a direction, and it's from experience.:)

Good luck with the new rig selection. I hear a lot of mobiles out there and answer them when I can if I hear them calling CQ.

N4EYZ likes this.
  4. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I run an IC-7000 & love it. I also have the 706G & 7100.
    The 7100 is "Different". The 706, I'd take to war with me. It's been underwater 3 times & with proper cleaning, still works fine. Tougher than any of the Icom marine radios I have worked on.

Ed

NH7RO likes this.
  5. N4EYZ

I've been running Icom for years, bought the 706 new in '01 and have had many mobiles, ht's and currently a 756Pro
    here on the desk. This one has made me question a bit though.

6. N4EYZ

I've been wrongly (probably) accusing my 706 of having issues. I brought it inside and put on my bench with covers off
    to perform a simple test that would point to the faulty vco trimmers. It's been sitting here since 7 last evening working just fine. So makes me think all the constant noise is coming somewhere from within my truck. I've run this combo before........706 + AH4....some years ago. This AH4 is fresh out of the box. As soon as the rain quits I'm doing more testing.

7. K5XIT

K5XIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Icom pro 3 at home but use Kenwood HX for mobile. 200 watts and a HyQ antenna and get along just fine. BTW first mobile rig was HW12 with a master mobile coil. Various others since.

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you record or describe the noise? It would be helpful. Also make/model/year of vehicle, along with trim package.

Ed

WZ7U likes this.
  9. N4EYZ

Ed the noise is akin to a swirling swishing noise as I move the vfo. The swirling I guess is related to changing frequency. My intentions are to reinstall tomorrow. Raining today. the truck is a bit old. 1993 Chev S-10, 2.8 v6 w/Tahoe pkg.
    I ran the identical combo (706+AH4) 12-15 yrs ago with good results. But that AH4 was sold long ago. This one just came from Gigaparts. Radio is completely quiet (other than band noise) sitting on desk. I'm wondering if the noise is being generated within the tuner. I'll find out tomorrow.

10. N4EYZ

Found the noise source. Rig is silent now (save for signals). I should have realized this before but had forgotten the darn thing was in the truck. Had to think "what's in here that wasn't here 12 yrs ago?" I tore it up a bit removing it. Had gotten a bit embedded in lighter socket. IMG_1245.JPG

K9ZMD, AA7QQ and NH7RO like this.