Advertising

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KL7AJ, Dec 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking through the April 1954 QST (the month I was born), National Radio has no less than 17 advertisements for the new NC-98 receiver....every dealer in the U.S. apparently had an ad for the thing. I guess they thought it was a pretty good receiver.

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be that National offered the dealers a very good cost incentive for purchasing "X" number of receivers if they ran an ad.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is almost certainly the case. Anyway...quite interesting. I've always loved National radios...but I would much rather have an NC-303 than a 98. :)

W1BR likes this.
  4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a NC-303 and several NC-300's (package of 3 priced right :)) but never really cared for them . Didn't like the audio on either model and AGC wasn't that great for SSB. I think National's ad play on the NC-300 "Dream Receiver" in my opinion turned into a nightmare considering all the service bulletins and addenda they issued on the model. Dumped them all.
    But I like the quality, audio, and sensitivity of the NC-173 and NC-183D receivers. As general coverage receivers they were very good. The only National I still have today is a HRO-500 which isn't that bad for a mid-60's solid-state general coverage receiver.

5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who wouldn't?

But remember.....the NC-303 cost about three times the price of an NC-98.

And a dollar in 1954 inflates to about ten dollars today.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never had an NC-98, but did have an NC-300, then a 303 (not very much different).

I liked them a lot. When I first saw the drum dial rotation mechanism I was fearful it would fail, but it never did and I liked it a lot -- just shows one band at a time, no way to read anything improperly, and tracked amazingly well across the dial for frequency accuracy. Not a Collins/PTO system accurate, but good enough.

The 303 had better AGC for SSB than the 300 did.

They both had so much "extra room" inside you could install VHF converters right inside them, and I did that - Ameco CN50 and CN144 nuvistor converters, powered by a socket inside the receiver, and attached to the inside back panel of the receiver; I mounted BNC connectors for the antenna input ports of the converters on the rear panel so antenna cables just plugged into the back. And I loved the flywheel tuning and big tuning knob -- wheeeeee!:p

I remember bringing the NC-300 and an Apache TX-1 both to a Field Day site in '66, I think. Had to carry them a few hundred feet across a park, tried putting them on a fold-up "card table," which collapsed under the weight, so had to try to drag a park bench table to our operating spot, and that table/bench combo must have weighed 400 lbs, it took four or five of us to move it an inch.:)

And gee, our old LaSalle ran great.

W1BR likes this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Musta been a bad year all over---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the month I was born, too!