ad: hrd-2

Advantages of having extra class?

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by KE9RJM, Feb 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Watt ?

A elected official without the proper qualification yet. :D

Good Luck.

KC5SAS likes this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't/didn't see the extra exam as that 'hard' . I was at a local ham-fest when one of the nearby table dwellers mentioned the no-fee testing being offered. A nice touch, BTW.

Took it dead cold and got 98%. As did several others also there for the no-fee testing.

I will admit to some surprise at reading that a local 'college' was teaching a class that should lead to an Extra class license. I would like to know the name of that college...

The tests are easier (a relative term, to be sure) these days - as they should be - given that most solid-sate rig require less maintenance or adjusting over times of old.

Ham radio, like many hobbies, is always evolving.

3. K7OEU

K7OEU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are lucky enough to have access to a real instructor-based CW course, that would be invaluable over doing it all on your own. Trying to learn to send CW well and with a good readable "fist" on your own can lead to bad habits that can be hard to break. Copying code, especially fast, has techniques as well.

Same with an Extra course that will teach you the real material over just learning the test. Too many still don't know much after passing the exams.

Here in the sticks, I have no access to either kind of course, so I've had no choice, but I'd encourage anyone who does to take advantage of it. Also, a really good instructor is a real plus.

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you learn CW on your own, learn it at 25 wpm and NOT 5 wpm. It is not any harder to learn at 25 wpm. You will not find a class that teaches you at 25 wpm. If you learn it at 5 wpm you will end up relearning it at 25 WPM. There are lots of places on the internet to download a free program that will teach you the KOCH method. This teaches you the code at the speed you want to use (again 25 WPM).
    there is really no reason why you cannot take the extra class at school and learn CW at the same time.

Good luck with both. We are pulling for you.
    73 John K4AGO

W7UUU likes this.