ad: portazero-1

ADMS-891 Software For Yaesu FT-891

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VA7SKW, Oct 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VA7SKW

VA7SKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,

I have a Yaesu FT-891 on its way to me via Canada Post. <Wish me luck!!>
    I might be interested in getting a copy of the RT Systems programming software for my new radio.

Question: Can I just use the Yaesu-supplied USB cable that comes with the radio for programming? (That way, I would just have to pay for a software download only from RT Systems.)
    My gut tells me "Yes", but I want to be sure.

Best 73's
    Scott - VA7SKW

2. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont think a usb cable comes with the radio?

3. VA7SKW

VA7SKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, yes... I just watched an unboxing video, and there appears to be no USB cable included.

I guess my question should have been if a standard USB cable will work, or do RT Systems use something with a specialized chip set in it? I'm pretty sure
    a readily available cable will work just fine.

4. WA4OTL

WA4OTL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plain old standard USB cable for $6.99 worked for me.

5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A standard USB cable should work fine with all Yaesu sourced software. It should also work with RT Systems software, but they used to have a policy of only providing support of their software if you were using it with one of their own cables. They did receive a lot of criticism for that and I think they may have quietly dropped it.

Martin (G8FXC)

VA7SKW likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When it comes to RTsystems software, some of it is copy protected by the use of a dongle chip in their $25 cable.
    BUT lucky for the 891 it is not needed: https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-891_c_810.html
    The cable version is just a regular USB cable and why the cable is not $25 extra.

VA7SKW likes this.