ad: elecraft

Adjusting Hallicrafters SX-85 Main Dial and Band Spread Position

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD2NOM, Feb 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doug,

Where did you get the spare slugs? Did you salvage them from a different IF Transformer? I'd like to replace this top one.

2. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

I did find the ferrite ones from the separate band adjusters. I'm just not sure about the IF can ferrite slugs. I found these on ebay, fella was only a hundred miles from me. These are the same ones that I have in the SX99, let me see exactly what he sent me. If there is something that will work, I'll be in touch friend very soon! Is your email good in your profile?

Best & 73 for now
    Doug

3. KD2NOM

4. KD2NOM

My email is good - thank you!

5. KD2NOM

Well - the alignment is super fun - I'm on the second frequency and the oscillator slug refuses to turn - I've messed up the plastic end of one tool already trying to get it to turn - the tone is only about 200Khz off from the 14 meter indicator on the dial - not sure what to do as I don't want to mess up the slot on the slug - thinking ....

6. KD2NOM

Got it very close now - moving the other two slugs (mixer and antenna) don't seem to make as much difference on this frequency - moving onto the next one.

7. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

If you find that the slug is mechanically way off, simply get it as close as you can & go back to the upper end and re-adj the variable cap. You'll find indeed it was way off also, now the ferrite slug at the bottom end will act much better and peak in the middle of it's span. The only other variable is the mechanical centering of the dial, but that should be straight forward as outlined in the procedure. Like I mentioned, it takes a few times to start getting close and things to start getting the variable caps & the slugs to start acting right.

To highlight your selection of the replacement dial cord, I used "Spider Line" Kevlar "Tow", works great, like what you found!

I totally forgot to rummage through where I believe that stuff is residing, tonight I promise. With the SX99, there is the crystal filter which may or may not be close to where it's supposed to work, so tuning around some always tells the truth.

Doug

8. KD2NOM

More broken slugs! I decided to remove the wax that was covering the coil slugs before putting the radio back together so I can see what I am doing - found another broken slug.

Fortunately I have two bags of random slugs coming - I hope I have two that fit :)

Regarding the wax - does anyone re-seal the slugs in the coils after alignment - or was that factory and there is no need to replace it?

9. KD2NOM

Oh - and not mentioned here yet - but in another thread - I got an Eico Model 324 signal generator and it is hands down better than that digital thing I got - I may send that one back ...

10. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

There may be a better way, but to help with the wax issue, I use a halogen desk lamp (mini flood 70 watt) to slightly heat the general area up slightly. Halicrafters does use allot applied to the face area, and it has a slight glue like consistency. a quick going over with a heat gun with the focused nozzle should reseal it well, just don't cook the wires.

I am still looking.....for my Halicrafters slug stash :) This weekend for sure.

Doug