ad: ProAudio-1

Adjusting Hallicrafters SX-85 Main Dial and Band Spread Position

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD2NOM, Feb 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those wax paper caps should be replaced. Especially that one at the AC line that has bubbled up due to overheating (leakage).

2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Bill - should I replace them with electrolytic caps or with like kind?

Mark

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do NOT replace them with electrolytic capacitors! Use either disc ceramic or various "poly" type of capacitors.

Those capacitors are certainly very "leaky" and will definitely cause problems if left in the unit. The performance virtually always improves when the paper type capacitors are replaced. Also, replace all of the electrolytic capacitors, of course, with new electrolytic capacitors because the old ones are a "time bomb" waiting to "go off" and when that happens, all sorts of other components can be "taken out" including some that are very expensive to replace.

Glen, K9STH

4. KP4SX

Go here.
    http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html
    I use the yellow 630v axial ones for most things. These replace the paper caps.

Electrolytics are something different.
    Note the AC-rated "safety" caps for that bubbly one that is attached to the Ac line.

5. KD2NOM

I was putting together the spreadsheet as you sent this over.

Interestingly enough - I cannot find a Safety cap (Y2, X2 or X1 / Y2) in the correct voltage on their spreadsheet - I have an email into them.

Mark

6. KP4SX

They offer 275 volt, I believe. Note that's AC volts. You don't want a dc rated cap in that location. That's why the old one bubbled up!
    A 630v DC cap can work but the AC rated one is the better mousetrap.

7. KD2NOM

That makes perfect sense. There is a thread on the Zed about is electronics knowledge still necessary - um ... yes.

8. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

A word of safety advice: The operation of "boatanchors" using a 2-wire power cord without the ground wire may kill you.
    It only takes an insulation fault, and the chassis becomes "hot" with 120 VAC against ground.

It is strongly recommended that you change the power cord to a 3-wire which grounds the chassis and use a 3-prong grounded power plug.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N0TZU likes this.
  9. KD2NOM

Will do - I already added a three prong to the Realistic DX-160 and will do so with this radio as well.

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Also, add a fuse.

Wire the 3-wire cord as follows:

Black wire to the fuse and then to the off / on switch

White wire to the "other" side of the original line cord (directly to the power transformer primary).

Green wire directly to the chassis.

A 2 ampere fuse should be plenty. That gives enough capability for the operation and yet is small enough to "blow" when there is a problem of major proportions.

Glen, K9STH