ADI AR147+ 60 watt Mobile

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KE5OA, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE5OA

KE5OA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm seriously considering buying the little AR-147+ ADI 60 watt radio and would like an opinion on the performance.  Is it a fairly dependable radio or does it have a lot of problems that demands continuious repair? Is it easy to program or does it take a rocket scientist to program it? If anyone has one or has owned one in the past, let me know if it's worth the $149.99 I'll be paying for it. [​IMG]

2. W0AAV

W0AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one of those for a very short time noticed problems with it so I examined it then I took it to a friend of mine who is an advanced class and has been for something like 15 years. We concluded that the radio's finals were dieing a very fast death and after having the radio 3 weeks its power output was down to aroudn 16 watts on high. What a bust I got rid of it and sent nasty letters to adi for their horrid customer service on not wanting to fix it before I opened it up. I personally would recommend the yaesu ft 1500m wonderful little rig that is tiny it is super tough you cant break one of them and it has major options in it such as two squelchs its a great radio for $135...you cant beat the little rigs superior audio on transmit I get nothing but praise on its sound quality.

3. LY2BIG

LY2BIG Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc5nod @ Feb. 14 2003,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm seriously considering buying the little AR-147+ ADI 60 watt radio and would like an opinion on the performance.  Is it a fairly dependable radio or does it have a lot of problems that demands continuious repair? Is it easy to program or does it take a rocket scientist to program it? If anyone has one or has owned one in the past, let me know if it's worth the $149.99 I'll be paying for it. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wont some problems [​IMG] No?
    Then - STAY AWAY from that AR147 !!

We have sold 120 pcs of these radios to a local LMR users, and within 6 month ALL (!!! ) 100% came back, for one sort of problem, or another.

Main week points:
    -MICROPHONE cord.  (inside wires broke 100% )
    -ANTENA PIGTAIL ( BROKE 100%)
    -POOR FRONT PANEL CONECTOR
    -CPU &quot;LOCKS-ON&quot;
    -BIRDIES (MANY! ) IN THE RX
    -ACOUCTIC BEADBACK FROM SPEAKER TO THE VXO (VERY BAD!. cAN NOT TURN AUDIO VOLUME MORE THEN 60% OF MAX)
    There was many other problem too, above I mentioned only those which were found in more then 70% of the returned radios.
    This is NOT the radio to be used IN A 12 hours/365 days format service ( as in our clients case )

Sorry to report that, ADI....  [​IMG]

Vic LY2BIG

4. KE5OA

Received the reports and at the same time received the radio. So far the only problem I see is the display lamps cause the front of the radio to heat up which seems to aid in heating the rest of the transmitter quicker while transmitting. I have to keep a small computer fan on it at all times. Thanx for the responses. 73 de KC5NOD

5. KE5OA

Noticed another problem! The PTT on the mic really stinks! At first it took very little pressure to key it up and stay keyed, but now I have to press harder and the old fingers get wore out trying to stay keyed up! It cuts out several times during a QSO and gets really aggitating. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

6. W0AAV

W0AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the ptt trouble your having...mine did the same darn thing... I ended up taking the mic apart and bending the counter piece that causes the ptt button to spring back to its original position. Mine didnt stick anymore however I still sent it back. Adi (Pryme) has horrible customer service and doesnt want to ever do anything to make a customer happy. But if you are going to send it back better do it while it has warranty otherwise they will give you a very hard time. The little yaesu 1500m is the best 2 meter rig I have ever owned for a cost of $135! Hope this info helps if not click the email or msg button and send me a message. 73's.

7. KE5OA

Thanx to all who responded. All info, pro and con, seemed to be right on the money.  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.