ADDRESS CHANGE FCC REG'S

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB9FMV, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9FMV

KB9FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure if this is posted here or another forum but what are the requirements for someone who live with another ham buddy uses his equipment (lives with him last 4 or 5 years) but he never changed his address and only ID'S with his call sign as if it was hi location?

Thanks
    Paul KB9FMV
    73'S

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as he can get any mail from FCC, he's good to go. The moment he starts missing things, it could spell trouble.

The odds... pretty low if he is watching his P's & Q's. No reason to write him if he's being a good boy, right?

At renewal, best get it figured out. Even if it's your address, at least he can get the mail there. ;)

W4RAV likes this.
  3. KB9FMV

KB9FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it against the FCC rules though?? From reading over the rules it seems you need to go ahead and make sure you notify them in 90 days? Maybe Iam wrong?

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the web address for part 97 - https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...c83719263f&mc=true&n=pt47.5.97&r=PART&ty=HTML

ยง97.23 Mailing address.
    Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name and mailing address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address.

I would suggest getting familiar with this document, if only because as a licensee you're supposed to be familiar with it. I don't see a problem with your roommate using your station as long as 97.23 is met.

Perhaps it is you with a problem with him using it? :oops:

5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing in the rules says that your address on file must be your residence address. It need only be an address where you can (and do) receive mail.

N1EN, WA9SVD, KS2G and 1 other person like this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not against the rules. As long as the FCC has your mailing address, you are in compliance.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's sad that experienced hams are not aware of this regulation. I see this as another failure to provide sufficient questions on rules and regulations in the testing process.

ND6M likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that also assumes (yeah, my bad) that an individual will pick up mail at that address (or get it forwarded) in a timely manner. The FCC requires a mailing address, not necessarily a place of residence. (That could easily apply to a club station with a P.O. Box number.)

9. W4NNF

"Mailing address" assumes you actually pick up your mail. ;)

KU4X likes this.
  10. W4NNF

I generally agree, but in this specific instance the Technician pool has a question on the subject:

T1C07 [97.23]
    What may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide and maintain a correct mailing address with the FCC? Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license.

K3XR likes this.