Adding WiFi to (computing) setup ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Jul 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to get some help with adding WiFi to my setup.
    I have posted same question on another forum and could not get the part of "adding" resolved.
    I received advice for connecting my PC to Internet via WiFi which is not what I am after.
    I am including crude , my first try on building "flowchart" in LibreOffice, drawing of my current and future setup.
    I have omitted the connection to VNA, so before somebody gets exited - this is amateur radio related issue. Not to worry.

Currently I am using my PC , running Ubuntu OS, to develop VNA C++ software.
    I am using Eclipse IDE with TCF ( Target communication framework ?) package to develop on PC and run the software on Raspberry Pi using TCF Agent software. Works adequately for my needs.
    The PC is connected via Ethernet to my router and RPi is also connected to the router via Ethernet.

The TCF uses this ID TCP:10.0.1.2:1534 to communicate with Agent ( via Ethernet ) and I can also use SSH pi@10.0.1.2 in my PC Terminal to access the RPi if I need too.

I like to ADD WiFi (wireless) connection and I do not want to destroy the current setup.
    The key word is "ADD".

I have followed this process
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/README.mdt to a point because I am not sure if it does ADD or replace my current connections.

Also this procedure was not written for RPi Zero which does not have RJ45 hardware and my attempt to follow it resulted in "you do not have Internet connection " error. ( something I already knew ) .

In short - I like to ADD WiFi to Raspberry PI and later do same for Raspberry Zero.
    ( I do not want to add USB to WiFi dongle to Zero as few folks suggest - I should be able to use build-in WiFi hardware. )

Hope I have provided enough detail to get the discussion going.

Last advise I have received was that I have to replace "static" ID (10.0.1.2 ?) with "dynamic " in the router.
    I am totally lost.

As always I will appreciate any help.

Keep in mind that I like to stay away from terms like "server", "host" "remote" etc.
    I had a heck of a time putting the TCF package to work and inconsistent terminology did not make things easier.

73 Shirley

Attached Files:

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

cough... cough...

3. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Adding a WiFi interface should not be a problem, as long as you have the drivers for the chip (I surmise they have them in the OS you installed). This is normal, as Linux machines (and most modern computers) have an Ethernet card and WiFi all the time (I feel there's more to this inquiry...). I also can't imagine that setup of a WiFi card is so unique on the Pi.

The only problem is this:

You cannot have 2 Internet Gateways. So, if your intention of adding Ethernet access via WiFi is for the device to access the Internet on either interface, that will not be so easy. In addition, some Linux distributions change the Gateway metric of the interfaces upon establishing connection on another interface, you'll have to check that.

(The link you provided gives a HTML 404 error...https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md)

4. AA7EJ

The link actually has four different ways to add "wireless" to RPi 3B.

As I said - I am not after adding access to Internet - I really do not need Internet to do my stuff.
    I can just follow their process on backup OS and if it does not do what I want - I can start over.
    I am just trying to avoid "hit and miss " method.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just setup a private IP address.

Learn about subnet masks.

Tell us the answer that you want, Then you will get the correct answer. o_O

Good Luck.

6. AA7EJ

OK, let me simplify / clarify.
    Raspberry PI (3B) has both Ethernet and WiFi hardware build-in.
    The question is how to configure the WiFi ( wlan in Linux terminology ).
    Raspberry PI Zero has WiFi and Bluetooth build-in , no Ethernet hardware.

I did "configure" RPi SSH on 3B.
    I am not using Zero at this point.

I do not recall where did the ID of 10.0.1.2 came from.
    It its " associated" with Ethernet hardware - build-in RPi.
    That ID allows the RPi access to Internet AND allows TCF (running on PC) to access RPi - via router.
    What I need to figure out what ID to use and who will "configure" such ID to work using WiFi.
    So far I found only how to "configure" country on RPi, I do not see any other option to configure WiFi on RPi hardware.

7. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

You are bound to get a lot of random noise on this one.

Has the PI loaded the WLAN module?
    Is there a WLAN0 (or other name wireless related) in the output of "ifconfig" or "iwconfig"?
    Will the WLAN connect to an access point?

You are going to have to manually configure the WLAN IP address on a different subnet or even different address range to the wired LAN and configure routes manually.
    I must confess to only having an old RPi with only wired LAN.

Is this any use?
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md

Frank

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  8. KA9JLM

The only thing " associated" with Ethernet hardware - build-in RPi, is the MAC address.

You can set the IP address to whatever you need/want.

No need to re-invent the IP, Or you may need to pay Royalties.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  9. AA7EJ

Thanks, as far as getting "random noise" I fully expect that , especially from hams.
    I am just looking for someone to bounce ideas around with and appreciate your post.
    I found out the hard way that majority of "computer forums" are not places one can freely discuss stuff, and so far QRZ has been pretty tolerant as far as "minding your i's and t's " HI HI HI

Anyway - today I stopped writing C++ and connected to RPi directly.
    I have been using "terminal" and cannot figure out how to connect to RPi GUI - where the "network" information is "visible" without futzing with command line.

In process I lost RPi "connection" to Internet, no biggie here.
    Before it bombed, I did verify where SSH ID came from, got wlan0 ID but could not get pass "wlan0 not associated " error.

Reading other site it looks as RPi GUI is not always "user friendly", since most "experts" revert to "command line" to solve issues.
    This "wlan0 not associated " error appears to be a router "password " problem - so I 'll have to ding into that.

73 Shirley

10. KA9JLM

Learn Bash and be happy. ;)

Get born again.

KB3VWG likes this.