Adding DMR/D-star

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by 9A5BWT, Feb 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 9A5BWT

9A5BWT Ham Member QRZ Page

So i caught digimode bug and can't get rid of it.

I want to be able to operate dmr and d-star. I have a couple of DMR radios and an ICOM 7300.
    Now i know about DVstick 30
    http://www.combitronics.nl/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=103
    that should with a piece of software and a pc turn my radio into d-star or dmr capable rig.
    I understand also the raspberry pi hat hotspot that you hook up to them internet and Brandmeister and that is all good.
    But can i have both for the price of one? As I understand it, the main cost is AMBE3000 chip.
    Can I buy something and what that thing is, that would get my rig dmr/d-star capable AND that can operate as a hotspot?
    I guess it would be a raspberry pi with ambe chip added on but I am not sure which of the products if any do this.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's one way to do DMR/D-Star. It doesn't involve a radio. This dongle connects to your PC and you get on the air using a PC microphone.

If you have a D-Star or DMR capable radio (the 7300 is neither), you can use a hotspot. That's a standalone little device that connects to the Internet with your network and to your radio over RF.

Or, if you have a radio and a local D-Star or DMR repeater, you can connect using that repeater.

3. 9A5BWT

Thanks, but i don't think you understood my question.

Is there a device (pcb or a box or a kit) that i can use as a hot spot, BUT if i turn off the hotspot AND i can connect it to my radio, I can just use it as a vocoder and blast d-star on HF?

4. W4NNF

No. The only way to get on D-star with HF is with an HF rig that incorporates D-Star like the Icom IC 7100, 9100, and the upcoming 9700.

5. 9A5BWT

W4NNF, I think you are wrong, because a computer, a dvstick 30, an hf transciever, maybe an additional sound card should be able to do dmr and d-star.
    As I am only missing the dvstick (vocoder) part, i'll buy that and give it a try.
    Also, the upcoming 9700 is not an HF rig.

6. W4NNF

Well, have it your way. If you find a way to put your HF rig on D-Star by using some dongle, let me know how you did it. ;)