Adding a 12v "cigarette" outlet to a PS?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N8MLP, Aug 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I just changed my shack power supply from a Jetstream to a Astron linear. One thing I kind of miss is the front panel 12v cigarette outlet.

I was thinking about going to the local truck stop and getting a 12V outlet and hooking it up to the Astron, maybe use some double side adhesive tape to secure it to the side of the chasie or something..

Is it that easy? It would be nice if I could get a panel mount style outlet and install it on the front of the PS. Not sure if there is room behind...

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get panel mount or bracket mount receptacles at Autozone & the like. Be sure to add a fuse for it.

Ed

N0TZU and N8MLP like this.
  3. N8MLP

Great! thats exactly what I want to do! Seems to easy though, just wanted to pass it by some pros!

If its a "project" I think of it usually isn't that easy... hahaha

4. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

I put a digital volt meters on an Astron RS-70M. I made a panel from a Radio Shack box top so I could just drill a hole in the Astron and standoff for mounting space. You could do that with a panel too if you needed space.

Astron 70M 25.jpg

K4PP

5. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a distribution panel for my second shack. I added a cigar outlet for various uses. All of my mobiles are powered through a cigar plug. I like the portability in doing this. The purist will say to avoid the plugs. This was a real issue back in the day when there was a real cigar lighter and it was used. Ash and corrosion were the culprits. Today the main problem is loose fitting plugs. This problem can sometimes be remedied with a good rubber band.

6. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get the cigar outlets that have USB ports for charging also.

USB power seems to be popular now a days.

N8MLP likes this.
  8. N8MLP

I agree. Although I prefer to use the "adapter" type usb outlets. It seems standards change so fast and most hardwired type are 1A only. While there are USB outlets have USB C and Power Delivery options (fast charging)

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a RS-35A (no meters) and there is plentiful room behind the front panel for a lighter outlet or other panel mount accessories, especially on the right side. I installed some Anderson power poles from Quicksilver. After I did so, I discovered that Astron is now building their new units like I modified mine.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are normally the Analog regulator ones. Zero noise, Unlike Buck converter types.