Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the account hasn't been hacked. It looks like he never claimed his QRZ account and he probably doesn't even know it exists. I'm assuming you received an unsolicited email from the scammer purporting to be WA9ASD in response to your two posts about Elecraft gear? The real WA9ASD is president of an amateur radio club and here is Bill True's public club email if you would like to alert him to this situation.
    president@aksarbenarc.org

WR2E likes this.
  2. W1ND

W1ND Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that, my google skills failed to bring that up. I found the email of the Vice President of that club and contacted him, but didn’t get a response. Emailing him now.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  3. AJ4GQ

4. NA4TH

NA4TH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just received a reply from this guy to my QTH ad asking to buy a AL-811. He was usinfg wa9asdradios@gmail.com. I do not think this is a legit person. He said he had a clean Al-811 and I almost sent the money, but glad I checked this forum. Buyer beware!!!~

5. N4BOZ

N4BOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I almost fell for this scam from someone claiming to be WA9ASD. He emailed me after seeing an ad I responded to on here for an LDG tuner - offering one up. I asked for pictures, he sent them (no call sign in them) which didn't alert me right away.

We agreed on a price, I told him we had a deal - then he changed up emails on where I should Paypal the money to........... HMMMMM.

Then he told me to send by Friends & Family... I declined and said I would pay the fees. He again said he would only accept F&F payments.... FLAG #2.

I'm glad I found this thread, I did so attempting to PM WA9ASD to see if it was really him I was dealing with.

K3XR likes this.
  6. N8QX

N8QX Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an offer for a ic-746, unsolicited, sounded phony almost fell for it.

N8QX

7. AA7LX

AA7LX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello from AA7LX, George.
    How do I check to see if the seller is legit-- here on QRZ ? Is there a forum to see if Callsign is a bad seller??
    Thank You, AA7BQ
    '73

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  8. N0TRK

N0TRK Ham Member QRZ Page

I know Bill, WA9ASD - he is now aware, so thanks to those who took the time to email him.

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. AJ4GQ

I note there's no email address on Bill's QRZ account and no disclaimer. Your account doesn't have an email on it either. Scammers will continue to use his name and callsign and you could be next.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

True DAT!