Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is why I WILL NOT answer GMAIL accounts 98% of them are BOGUS. !

Any one and there sisters brothers husband can get one with out conformations of who you are.

Again as stated use PAYPAL for money transactions YOU ARE PROTECTED !

If seller sends YOU a link to click and log to send PAYPAL it is probably a spoof also

SO BEWARE NEVER CLICK LINK FROM A E-MAIL

ALWAYS LOG INTO PAYPAL DIRECT FROM THERE SITE.

Hope this helps

73's Bruce KF7TLL

KA2FIR likes this.
  2. AC9LV

AC9LV Ham Member QRZ Page

I GOT AN E-MAIL FROM W9ANW, CONCERNING AN FT100D FOR SALE FROM SOMEONE WHO IS USING MY CALLSIGN ...AC9LV..
    NEVER OWNED ONE NOR DID ADVERTISE ONE FOR SALE. BE WARY OF FAKE "BARGAINS" OUT THERE, AND CORRUPTION OF YOUR GOOD NAME.
    THE WORLD IS FULL OF CROOKED PEOPLE.....THEY WALK AMOUNG US.
    signed.....the REAL John......AC9LV.....

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is the forsale ad using your call? You have no disclaimer in your qrz bio or a contact email so others can warn you about these types of scams. Do you know W9ANW?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 11:24 PM
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John, Scammers tend to use callsigns that have no email listed, or appear to be inactive (no bio).

If there were an email listed a buyer could contact you via that email address.

As Mike suggests, edit your bio page to state that you are not selling anything.

These two simple steps protect your callsign and any intended victims as it allows them to take the first step of verifying the legitimacy of the offer to sell.

KA2FIR and WB0MPB like this.
  5. AC9LV

AC9LV Ham Member QRZ Page

The attempted sale was not posted on QRZ. W9ANW was offered this radio complete with several pictures. He thought it looked suspicious and sent me an e-mail to my VALID e-mail address. I do know W9ANW. I spoke to him via phone and cleared up all the confusion. I'll go ahead and edit my bio page. Thanks much guys.

WR2E, WD3N and KA2FIR like this.
  6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

The scammer saw W9ANW’s post in WA1BXY’s forsale post on QRZ and sent him an unsolicited email. This Has happened to me a number of times after I show interest in an item and post a comment. A log showing who viewed the ad could track down who the scammer is.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 4:40 PM