Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is... and it's nice of them to provide that service.

BUT, it is sorta darkly humorous that people are getting scammed by they themselves commiserating in the act of scamming paypal.

2. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's too bad they can't set up a system to 'pre-authorize' a true family or friend. Maybe with a 1-2 week delay to stop a seller from pressuring a impulse transfer. Once you confirm, that friend/family relationship would be good for say a year.

WD4IGX and AJ4GQ like this.
  3. PA1CJT

PA1CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing this. I placed a wanted for a Ten-Tec 1220 or 1260 and I got a message from probably some using other HAMĀ“s callsign.
    The man is using ki7jcw@gmail.com but I found out that this email does not belong to KI7JCW. The man (probably a Kevinor a Michael) has tried before as I found out. So I asked for pictures of the rig guess I will never see them and I will not get a Ten-Tec 1220 either.

Best 73's to all

4. KE6FQC

KE6FQC Ham Member QRZ Page

here's an old one. Just got today 10/20/17 B ack in the working days, I had a similar one who wanted 6 truckloads of lumber to be picked up at a later date in a location down the mountain. Scam reads like so:

hope the item name(...)still available. Am interested do get back to my email addresss
    I'm okay with the price and
    the condition pasted . I really wish to be there to see the
    item
    but i don't have chance cause I'm a very busy woman. My mode of
    payment would be in certified check drawn from a local Banks. And am offering
    additional $20 with the original price to have this asap..
    I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your
    check clear, due to my work frame and my Kids, I will not be able to
    come with the cash and pick it up myself , so my husband will mail the
    check and have someone pick up the item after the check clear.,
    Reference to your CL post am completely satisfied with it and the
    payment will be deliver within 24hours...that your address send it again to my email thanks
    email siouxcity4309@gmail.com
    THANKS.....

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. That is hard to read. I wonder what country that writer is from??

6. KE6FQC

KE6FQC Ham Member QRZ Page

the lumber deal was Nigeria. It always amazes me that some fall for these after all the info is put out there about them, hi hi
    Tnx for the comment 73

7. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

You would think that people are smarter, especially amateur radio operators ( after all they had to pass tests ) but clearly that is not the case hence the need for threads like this.

I've sold stuff online for more years than I care to remember. Not once have I had an issue with a buyer nor a seller, nor do I accept Paypal because of their exhorbitant fee structure. Heck for most of the years the only payment form I accepted was either US Postal or Canadian Postal Money Order and never, not once did I have an issue and I maintained a 100% positive feedback on Ebay doing so. It was only when Ebay took on Paypal and began increasing fees that I became soured on them as an Ebay seller. Ebay took enough money as it was, now they wanted to extort even ore money from me through Paypal ..... and yeah for a while if you wanted to sell on Ebay .... you had to use their Paypal system and if you advertised that you accepted other payment forms they would suspend you. If you wanted to accept Credit Cards back then, the transaction had to be processed through ..... you guessed it .... PAYPAL.

I moved my online/auction selling to brick and mortar auction houses ... I get paid faster, buyers get to fondle the product before they bid and get to take it home the night/day of the auction ..... its truly a win/win for all involved.

8. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

How about this idea ........ only use " Friends and Family " with your " Friends and Family " ? You know, people that you ACTUALLY KNOW and have met IN PERSON.

-OR-

If a BUYER wants to use Paypal to purchase something, the BUYER can man up and offer to pay the fees to go through with it as a regular transaction ....... I mean if the BUYER offers to pay all Paypal fees and the SELLER balks ..... that should be a red flag telling you it is a scam !!!!

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

How about people use Paypal F & F as it is stated in the Paypal User Agreement. It is against the User Agreement to buy or sell anything even to your friends and family. It is to only used to send money. It is not to be used for buying or selling goods or services to anyone.
    Paypal.jpg John, WB0MPB

WB5THT and WR2E like this.
  10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

So people are getting exactly what they bargained for, if they had only read the fine print. :mad: