Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. DH5AK

DH5AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a certain filter these days, here on QRZ.com and as well on other boards. A person sent an email and offered exactly THIS filter.
    I asked for homemade pictures with a handwritten piece of paper showing his callsign. I received NO answer. I looked for his address here on QRZ.com, as his call sign AA3FS was included in his mail address, even his family and personal name was there. I looked for his phone number in the White Pages USA. It was my intention to call him as I was interested to buy this filter. I am German, when I am on the run - then I am on the run! I called him a LOT of times but received not ANY answer. Then I had the idea to place an advert by which I asked for help to gain contact to AA3FS. By this advert I met Rick KD4DRA. Rick already had payed money to him for certain gear. I told Rick the phone number and he called him. The addresses in QRZ.com and the White Pages were the same, so how thwarded could this guy be - or did he just became ill? Rick called him as well. Suddenly a man took up the phone and answered Rick that he does not offer nor sell any gear. THIS was the REAL AA3FS - the other guy was a scammer who abused his callsign and name. I am sure that this IS a person who knows about the situation of AA3FS - at least partially.

So, my idea asking for pictures with this little piece of paper prevented me from being ripped off. This is no 100%-method but it does a good job to prevent the utmost simple fraud attemps. So, please pay attention!

73 de Andy DH5AK

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 6:58 PM
  2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

His QRZ record shows it was updated on 8/11/2017 so he has been on here recently. I didn't see it mentioned (or forgot) but has someone emailed his yahoo account listed?

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

AA3FS's QRZ profile has no email address and has never been updated.

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Actually, AA3FS has never registered with QRZ. This only the raw information we received from the FCC in December of 2014.

5. WB8ROI

WB8ROI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I just got scammed from what I am not sure is a ham or a fake ham... KO1L, I bought an IC 706 from him and just lost $550.00! Lots of friendly e-mails,
    nice conversation... and no tracking number and no radio.... I saw another posting about this person (of course after that fact).
    I am not sure where to post this and what to do, but I just wanted to warn people....

6. WA5WXQ

WA5WXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got burned by this guy, too! I had posted looking for an LDG Z817H, and this person got in touch! Knew all the right buzz words, etc. Just like you, he had me remit funds as "family and friends." I have reported it to PayPal, but had no response. this took place about three weeks ago! I attempted to contact James Bertrand by email but never heard back from him... KA4VNM, if you need any details, get in touch and I am happy to provide them!

7. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you all think this idea will work... Have Pay Pal change "Friends and Family " to.... "Friends ,Family and Scammers" ?

8. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

He did not force you to use "friends and family". You can say no when that is requested. And as shown in their "terms of use" you agree when you sign up that you will not use F & F to buy goods and services even from your mom. F & F is ONLY to send money and prohibited from using to buy goods and services. It is right there in the users agreement. I just think it is funny how so many people will go against the rules to scam Paypal out of a few dollars and lose the buyer protection.

John, WB0MPB

9. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Pay Pal should do away with it since it's being abused so much.

WB0MPB, KS4W and WD3N like this.
  10. K4DVW

K4DVW Ham Member Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I believe that it is a valuable service they provide. I use it frequently to send money to family in Europe.