Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

But that is not what Paypal developed "friends and Family" for. It is not because you consider a fellow ham a friend. When they say "friend and family" they mean a friend or family. I consider the other hams on here my friends but that is not what Paypal meant. And if you use it with people other then your true friends or family you are cheating Paypal out of their rightfully earned commission. And cheating yourself out of Paypal's protection.
    You learned but I am just trying to use this to help others learn what F & F is for. Not to skirt around Paypal's commission.
    These are my opinions on the subject.

John, WB0MPB

2. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To me the tone of your message was critical. As if, why would I be asking the last person to speak to the ultimate victim was some how a problem, and my not going about getting his email and phone via QRZ or google. If I wanted that information via the web I would have used my Lexus-Nexus account. I am a bit torqued about the whole thing, so I am a bit sensitive especially after the last guys post that implies that because I got had by this guy I am somehow stupid and should have known better. That being said, I am not trying turn this into a message fest about how each person thinks this should be handled, so my apologies. Needless to say I am about to just drop the whole damn thing, take my lumps and move on. I am a process guy by nature, I wanted to confirm the facts, reconfirm the impersonators identity via more than one source, file a complaint with the FBI Cyber crimes division and the RCMP in Vancouver, which appears to be where this guy lives. Knowing how much of this activity actually takes place, going through that exercise is really more for my own satisfaction, than expecting any real results from law enforcement. Thus my tendency to drop it after the postings here. Again, sorry if I offended you with my response. Live long and prosper....

W6LEO and N5PNZ like this.
  3. KA4VNM

Point taken, I guess the old family I used to perceive is long past. I have been almost completely out of the hobby for a while so I guess times change and I need to get in synch with the new world where trust is a commodity, not implied. You can believe I won't do that again. My mother in law was right, nice guys finish last if at all. If nothing else is gained from this by other than what you are conveying about how to do this, then some good came out of it. Have great rest of your week!

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

My apologies if it came across that way.

Smusma'es k'du

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Going from a USNR rating of IS1 to "federal investigator" seems to be a stretch. By the way, it is a LexisNexis account, not "Lexus-Nexus".

6. KA4VNM

Correction noted. Spell check just kills me sometimes. The agency I was assigned to was investigating exports of restricted military and civilian goods. The job was to investigate those attempted diversions and refer them for further action. Beyond that the rest is not suitable for an email discussion. In the D.C. Area it is not unusual for senior enlisted IS's with advanced degrees to fill these slots at DOD agencies. I spent 21 years filling these kind of jobs in addition to being recalled to active duty several times. Hope this is a sufficient explanation. If you would like more you are welcome to give me a call.

7. KA4VNM

No problem. I am trying very hard to make this about the thief, but is increasingly becoming about me. Which to be honest I don't understand. Now I wishing I just said the hell with it and moved on. Thanks for your response though and have a great weekend!

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

This truism is not directed to anyone in particular but applies to society as a whole:
    there would not be as much crime if there weren't so damn many easy victims!

WR2E likes this.
  9. KC7BYP

KC7BYP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I am just about to post things 4 sale.

10. AE6CP

AE6CP Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone pretending to be William Nettleton, K2BXB and K2BX, responded to my WTB ad for gear. His email was not same as on QRZ, and when I checked with the QRZ email owner, that person confirmed this was a scammer. Beware someone using the email of K2bxbwilliam@outlook.com