ad: elecraft

Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good example of why everyone should pose questions to sellers via email instead of posting questions after ad copy.

The less info scammers have, the better.

WD4IGX, N0TZU and AJ4GQ like this.
  2. N3XA

N3XA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AA4EZ

AA4EZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also got an email from someone pretending to be Michael Towers, N5RXP, offering to sale me an Icom 7100 after I had made a comment on an ad for one here on QRZ. When I told him I knew a ham that lived in San Antonio that would be glad to go to his house and check the radio for me , he said he did would not deal with third parties, only with me through emails.

4. N4DCD

N4DCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good idea..

5. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to this forum, I was able to prevent someone from losing thousands of dollars in an Ebay transaction .
    Red flags: not wanting to sign for delivery.
    over night or the deal is off(big rush).
    Address of delivery is unoccupied house for sale.
    Transaction aborted.
    Thanks

M6HXO, W6LEO and N0TZU like this.
  6. KD9ERA

KD9ERA Subscriber QRZ Page

I now use the QRZ Two Factor Authentication process.
    Thanks a bunch

7. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I made an inquiry on a sale thread. The next day I received an email from supposedly KC1AOB offering two identical radios for less $. Suspecting a scam I looked up the call and found no email address, found his phone number elsewhere and called him today. He has no radios for sale. So another scam has been attempted.
    email from scammer follows:

Once again the real KC1AOB had nothing to do with this. When I called him he was very surprised and concerned.

Dave
    N5PNZ

W6LEO likes this.
  8. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had posted a want ad for a Yaesu filter and received a response from a James Bertrand. Sounded legit, knew all the buzz words. Accessed to the deal and now have read this. I can't reverse the transfer but, I can file fraud charges in both the US and CDN. I warned him this morning that I had not received a tracking or shipping notification within 24 hours I was going to take action. More research finds the PayPal account listed to a student in Vancouver and I am sure the RCMP would be interested in this scam. As for the holder of the license I would suggest he file charges of identity theft though his local PD and the FBI since it is international fraud. Luckily for me it was only $100 and change so lesson learned.

One suggestion would be we have a running thread of call signs and names call having been compromised so potential buyers can contact the actual licensee whose call is being used. Might also insist on a phone number in listings for verification before executing a purchase sale. The raw list should be the first thing to come up in this thread so we can check before moving on.

Oh well, been had before, may happen again. But it was an inexpensive warning to remind me to trust but verify.

9. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can report the transaction to PayPal and recover the funds, unless you used Friends & Family, of course. Did you?