ad: UR5CDXcom-1

Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF5PV

KF5PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I sale a lot of items on Craigslist besides Ham Gear and have had many of these scammers contact me.
    I let them send me their fake cashiers checks (they overnight them) and claim that I have deposited them and that they have cleared my bank.
    (I drag this out a little to make the squirmy.) I then tell them that I am going to send the money to Their Shipper but drag that out a little while to. I then tell them that I sent the money western union and they ask for the number of the money order, I ask if I can just send a picture of it and they say yes, then I send them a picture of a banana or something. others I tell I got intoxicated and spent the money at a girly bar. some even call me on VOIP and we have delightful conversations. I have collected over 30 fake checks this way. "advert" is one of the many tell tell words they use. Please be careful all.

More than likely If you cannot have a phone conversation with them then they are not legitimate.

K4PDM, WB5THT and KF5RRF like this.
  2. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

^^ most excellent ^^

3. VA2JN

VA2JN Subscriber QRZ Page

Another one...

i wanted LP-100A and received this email.

hdisme455@gmail.com

I have for sale a LP-100A Digital Wattmeter in a good working
    condition. Comes with manual , cables and original box . Asking $275
    shipped . Let me know if you are interested

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jean,

My Callsign is k2wop .

-------------------------------------------------------

And i received picture but the picture it's old on QRZ

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/lp-100a-digital-vector-rf-wattmeter-3kw.317717/

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heads up - our infamous early morning scammer has gotten better at photoshop. He's trying very hard to mimic natural appearing hand written calls, even trying to fit them under parts of the equipment for sale.

Here is today's faked picture, then the original picture previously posted by a VK ham on a VK website. (The call in the picture is hijacked, obviously.)

IMG_0258.jpg 1791529.jpg

The original was found by dragging and dropping the scam picture into a Google images search.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    KD4MOJ and AJ4GQ like this.
  5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW. He is getting pretty good at Photoshop. He must be taking some Photoshop classes. I don't think I could do one that good and I have used Photoshop a lot.
    Good catch
    John, WB0MPB

W2JKT likes this.
  6. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that photoshop is pretty convincing to my untrained eye.

7. KC3APU

KC3APU Ham Member QRZ Page

So in other words if the picture's contain a "hand written call" be leery of the item. The best way would be to go right to email about the item.

3's

Greg

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Quite the contrary. Handwritten call signs are a bit easier to photographically verify than a QSL card.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL cards can be copied from pictures or avatars then photoshopped into the scam photo.

Frequently the scammer has hijacked an account and replaced the original email with his email.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  10. VE2OEM

VE2OEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been requested to send pictures of my for sale equipment with the potential buyer callsign written next to it, I thought something was wrong so the first time that I have replied, I unfortunately complied but added my call sign and the date, never heard back. The very next day another potential buyer is asking me the same thing, this time I said no, I told the guy I would write any code word of his choosing but no callsign, never heard back from him...

I don't know if that approach was discussed in the past in this thread but I will keep an eye open to make sure the picture of my radio does not end up for sale here from a fraudulent member.

AJ4GQ and N0TZU like this.