Active Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by AA7BQ, Oct 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

If I can't buy new from a dealer I don't buy at all. I'm tired of these scams.

KE4RWS and W8OTR like this.
  2. WA7HAA

WA7HAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was also contacted by Randall Melton KA4AQM about an item I had listed for sale. He wanted me to contact him about the item, presumably for more information, and I replied, but never heard back. It didn't mean much until I ran across it mentioned here on this thread. I checked his QRZ page, and the email address listed there for contact was different than the email address from which I receive his query. Just an FYI for anyone interested. He didn't try to buy anything, so I guess there is nothing else to do.

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is risk of getting a trojan or worm.

Another risk: he is collecting and selling your verified email.

If it happened to me, I would get a different email.

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WB2ENX

WB2ENX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for looking out for us. Again, check the language used if it doesn't read correct it is probably a scam.

6. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean people would fall for, respond to and click on a link in an email like that?

I always look at every Email, and I mean in detail ..... like headers, and where any link might lead to.

Sometimes I shake my head when I read about people being taken by such methods.

I've had issues with scammers on one of the best online selling venues ( and allegedly most protected ) around.

Best way to avoid being scammed online is to not sell online I guess.

Oh and by the way .................

This scam you are reporting to us is not new.

It is used on Craigs List as well.

It is so common a a scam that I just delete them without even investigating anymore.

Even if it is not a scam .... who wants to deal with an idiot who cannot remember what ad he is responding to?

Not me!

7. N3ZP

N3ZP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen two ads for a FLEX6300, one on eham and one on qth.com using my call. They are not placed by me.

Phil N3ZP

8. N3ZP

N3ZP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If anyone has received an inquiry on an ad from coming from N3ZP in past few days, it was not from me. Please delete it. Someone changed my account email to an mail account he created using my name. I have updated my account and changed my password today.

Phil N3ZP

9. KM5XK

KM5XK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just posted a WTB for a rather unusual item and immediately got a response from W1RRT in AZ. It seemed strange since the price was just $5 below what I was looking for. The responder said he was in hospital with a hearing problem and wanted me to send me the money via Walmart money. I had no idea what that was and started to get wary about the offer. I asked for a pic and got it. It wasn't anywhere near the key I am looking for and meanwhile I had done some research and found that this callsign has been hijacked by someone and they run the same story over and over. I told the responder that I did not want the item and he said O.K.

It's too bad we have to be subjected to this stuff but I guess it pays to be diligent and snoop around before parting with your $$. If the key was really what I wanted I would have had him send me the item for inspection then I would have paid. If he was unwilling to do this--so be it-- there is lots of equipment for sale out there by legit sellers.

10. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course it does!