Active 2/70 repeaters in NY/VA/WV/DC/DE/NJ region?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by PC5E, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. PC5E

PC5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

I'm a dutch Full licensed HAM coming to the US in july. I will bring either my IC7000 or my Anytone AT-5888UV for use in the rental RV. We will be traveling from New York to Niagara Fals, then down to Shenandoah Valley, to the coast and north via DC to New York again. I would love to make some QSO's while I'm there.

I have already found various repeater databases and sites, but none seem to list how active the repeaters listed are. And both my rigs are slow scanners (and I won;t bring my Uniden 3500XLT scanner with me due to the scanner laws), so scanning for activity will be quite hit-or-miss.

Does anyone have some pointers how to find busy repeaters or have a list of them? And will using repeaters get me some nice QSO's or am I better off using HF (forcing me to bring the heavier IC7000)?

Thanks in advance!

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're almost asking the impossible as far as data bases are concerned. For example, we have one repeater here in Roswell, that has been on the books for at least 20 years, and has never been up!

Hopefully, some one who lives in the area(s) can chime in on which ones are most popular.

3. PC5E

PC5E Ham Member QRZ Page

That was what I heard, so I thought I was better off asking local HAM's for recommendations. That way I can program those repeaters into the rig before I leave. I can always enter the frequency of a repeater by hand, but scanning live repeaters is much quicker than scanning an entire band.

4. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.wanrepeater.net/

This system sounds like it will cover your entire trip. I have listened to it on Broadcastify.com and it stays quite busy. Repeater listing in there.
    Also try Repeaterbook.com.

KD8OSD

5. PC5E

PC5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I will look into it (and probbly listen to it also). And I will see what Repeaterbook is listing.

6. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is an iOS app - RepeaterBook - that acquires your grid square, and shows you nearby systems. It has worked marvelously for my out here in Southern California. If you have an iOS device - download it - it is FREE!

7. PC5E

PC5E Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw it on the repeaterbook website, also available for Android. I will certainly download it for use when in the US. Thanks!

I hope it can also display the use of a repeater, the webiste will (but not show them on a map).

8. W3EMT

W3EMT Ham Member QRZ Page

9. NZ4ZN

NZ4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

I work from Richmond, VA to Baltimore, MD and have most of the active repeaters in the area programmed into my radios via the RT Systems software (VX-7R & FT-8900).

If you have any sort of RT System software for your Icom, etc., you should be able to read and copy the files I use with my radios. If you can use the info, I'll e-mail the file to you.

10. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I can help you out in VA. As you enter from the north on I-81 first try the Bluemont machine on 147.300 pl 146.2. As you head south the next active one is in New Market on 146.625 pl 131.8. Harrisonburg has the 147.225 pl 131.8 and 145.130 pl 131.8. As you get farther south to Staunton try the 147.075 machine, no pl. Towards Lexington, VA the 147.330, no pl. is a good one.
    There are many others but I find these to be the most active. I live southwest of Staunton VA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.