ad: w5yi

Acquired Astron -- To What Do I Connect It?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AE4CH, Nov 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

Celebrating my first piece of amateur radio (HF) gear. For some reason a company was not able to use an Astron VRM-50-M power supply. Not enough amperes for intended use! I think it will probably work fine powering a HF transceiver? Thinking of the QRP-type or all band units of 100 watts...

Attached Files:

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously?

KA4DPO, W4HWD, W5TTP and 7 others like this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the RM-35M. If so you'll have plenty of current for a 100 watt ham rig at 25 amps continuous service and up to 35 amps intermittent use.

But in terms of hooking it up, you basically plug the power cord into the wall and then connect your rig or whatever DC device to the output terminals with black being the negative and red being the positive terminals. It won't really do much until you get something to connect to it.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

An Extra needed that explanation?

W1PEP, N8ZL, KA4DPO and 8 others like this.
  5. AE4CH

AE4CH Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the VRM-50-M. I know how to connect it! I am just happy to have it!

Attached Files:

6. K7TRF

Didn't look up the license class, just answered a question from a new ham :)

WA9SVD and KS2G like this.
  7. K7TRF

Ahhhh I misread your title. It wasn't 'how do I connect this?' it was 'what do I connect this to?' that makes a lot more sense.

Yeah you've got a ton of current from the RM-50M and you could connect a 100W or 200W rig without troubles. Good luck on getting your station up and running and don't forget antennas are king on HF so put at least as much effort into figuring out your antenna system(s) as buying a rig.

8. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything. Use it to power all of your 13.8V stuff. 50A is enough to power a couple of 100W HF rigs at the same time while transmitting. Get some sort of 13.8VDC distribution box. There are plenty of Anderson Powerpole based switch boxes among other sorts of things. You've got about all of the 13.8VDC power supply you'll ever need. Nice find.

K8BZ likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great power supply! My Astron has rarely been turned off over the last ten year +. Just sits quietly on a shelf and does its thing. :)

N3AWS, N8ZL, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a nice pickup!

An Astron RS-20 (16 A continuous, 20 A peak) is more than sufficient for most 100 W transceivers... I have an RS-35 for one of my Omni VI+'s. So a VRM-50? Probably could run THREE, definitely TWO, 100 W rigs at the same time, and a whole host of QRP rigs as well. Without working up the proverbial sweat... should last you a LONG time.

And having the meters as well? Great bonus... and rack mounted to boot!

Like I said, nice pickup! It will serve you well.