Acom 1010 Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1AL, May 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1AL

W1AL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the general consensus about the Acom 1010 HF Amplifier? Have heard some good things elsewhere but wanted to see what you guys thought? I have had a couple of amps, but FT8 killed them. Perhaps I just either shouldn't have been using them on FT8 at all, or I was just overdoing it. Either way, I'd like an amp for FT8 and wanted to get some feedback about this. I can take any honest critiques. I am willing to learn how to properly use an amp, whether solid state or tube. I figured the Acom 1010 was pretty rugged, with one modern tube and manual tuning, with some excellent protections. I would rather buy new, as I have found that used amp have a short life (at least with me hihi) Thoughts?

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran tons of RTTY through my 1010, and it barely even got warm.

Remember that the 1010 uses the same power tube as some of its higher-power brethren, with a slightly smaller power supply.

It's a tough amplifier, and the tube is very conservatively rated for its nameplate output levels.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The next time my 811H eats a Chinese tube, I'm gonna see if I can sneak an AT-1010 past the XYL!

KD2ACO likes this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one. Got it used from the local ham club. I've used it on RTTY with no apparent problems, in fact, it hardly even gets warm! Just do not drive it with much more than 50 watts or so. I was using true FSK, not AFSK and so the biasing might be different. In any event, just be sure not to overdrive the amp. If you use the amp for FT8 or RTTY, be sure to push the RTTY mode switch. This will limit the output to 500 watts. I find that the little amp is really easy to tune and puts out the rated power with no muss or fuss...

5. K3MZM

K3MZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in the market for my first amplifier (until the engine in the tractor went south this weekend). I’m probably going to purchase an Acom 1010 at some point unless a better option presents itself.

6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got one in January 2020. The "failsafe" features do work. Had a couple trips. Two minor issues are waiting for it to warm up, and having it go directly to "operate" when it does. I use a dedicated 120V line and haven't had any trouble at 500-600 watts.
    Mike N3PM

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you chat about on FT8?

Asking for a friend.

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm... I'm surprised that the FT8 is low power vs FT8 is weak signal fight has not started yet.

9. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it a minute...

10. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Acom A2100 & Acom 1200s. I use the 1200s strictly for CW. Never a problem, Acoms have been good to me. 73 Rich