Acom 1000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W1AL, May 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1AL

W1AL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just wanted to throw it out there that the Acom 1000 is one awesome amp. It is not solid state but it's nearly as easy to use as one. Tuning takes only a few seconds, is tolerant of higher SWRs than most amps, and is a joy to operate. It weights about 68 lbs and is very heavy but built like a Sherman tank.

I run a Flex 6400M into it and the Acom can put 300W out on 20M with just 20W input or so. It will do up to about 1200W max. Tolerates a 3:1 SWR easily. Since I run almost always FT8, I ordered the extra external fan from HRO and it is on backorder.

It has a high price tag of $2,809.00 at DX Engineering new, but I picked mine up used for $1,900.00 and it's in excellent condition. I have had an ALS 600 and this is just a joy to use compare to that. I actually burned out the 600 using FT8 (my bad), and wanted something more rugged. I will need to use more care, I know. hihi

Attached Files:

K0DOM and KD2ACO like this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That amp looks great. That's a great price for one too. Toyz-R-Us!

3. PA3HGT

PA3HGT Ham Member QRZ Page

When you use Acom , you can enjoy it for many years to come. You get what you paid for. Acom has good support when you need it. I use Acom for many years (Acom 1000/2000) .
    I have now my 3rd Acom 1000 and my 2nd Acom 2000 (regretted sold and bought again) and had no problems.Still running with original tubes.
    The tube itself is very rugged so no worries, The only con is that the prices for the GU74 become high.

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked up a used Acom 1010 last year. Really like it! I end up using it more than my "big amp", and AL-82. Acom 1010 is the easiest amp to use that I've ever seen. Only about 600/ 700 watts out but that's usually plenty.

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I want one.

But I don't want one badly enough to pay the price for one, even used, if I could find one someone was willing to ship or local. There's one in classifieds now for $2k I think. Good price - but while I want one, and it's a good price, right now no amp is worth $2k to me. I have too many other uses for that money at the moment.

I also really need to get a 220 circuit run to my shack before I try to move to anything more than my current AL-811H. (And that will kick the breaker if I try to run it and a space heater in winter or the portable AC in summer at the same time.)

6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a used one recently $1850 delivered. Actually I was wanting a bit more soup on 30M (200W) and an amp for 6. The A1000 took care of both for less than buying separate amps to add to my AL80B. The thing doesn't go into compression at about 700W either like the 80B. It puts out a solid 1KW easily on all bands according to my LP100A. Only thing I wish it had was the vernier tuning knobs like the 80B, but there's no problem tuning it, it's just that a vernier would make it even smoother/better.