ad: portazero-1

Account locked

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WY7BG, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

When I established my account on QRZ, I asked that it show the name I usually go by - "Brett Glass" - rather than my full legal name as registered with the FCC (which is "Laurence B. Glass" because the government, in its infinite wisdom, only records an initial rather than a full middle name). The request was honored, but the account was then locked (So an FCC update couldn't undo the change? Not sure) and now I can't edit other personal information. Is there way to allow me to edit my profile, but still show the name by which I am usually known (and which I use during QSOs) when someone looks me up? Or does the software on which QRZ.COM runs not allow for nicknames or for the common practice of going by one's middle name?

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

WY7BG [​IMG] USA

Laurence B Glass
    PO BOX 1693
    Laramie, WY 82073-1693
    USA

?...AS far as I know your name on the Zed is as it appears on your FCC documentation. I never use my legal name and no one I know calls me by that name. Have not been successful in changing that with the FCC or on the Zed. Don't know if something has changed.

3. WY7BG

I suspect that someone changed it in the database and then locked the record, so that the frequent updates from the FCC database wouldn't change it back.

Sounds as if QRZ might need to add a field to their database for the name one is usually called - sort of like the "badge name" at a convention or one's moniker on Twitter.

4. WY7BG

QRZ Support has now confirmed that my account was locked to prevent FCC updates from changing the name back to my legal name, rather than what I'm usually called. But the fallout from this is that I can't update my e-mail address, post pictures, etc.

It seems to me that this is an inconvenient workaround for a problem they really should fix - and COULD fix rather easily.

All they need to do is add a database field for a "moniker," or preferred name, which can be displayed above the FCC information on one's profile page. That way, if one looks a callsign up on the site during a QSO, one will know what to call the person to whom s/he is speaking but will still also see the "official" license information. The moniker could also be displayed with the callsign next to postings on these forums.