ad: vanity

Accidentally transmitting out of your designated class

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3RAA, May 12, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC3RAA

KC3RAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure it happens occasionally to others, and especially to newer hams (such as myself)
    I occasionally catch myself out of my General class privileges, but usually catch myself before transmitting. Today I was transmitting below 14.225 MHz and never even realized it it until I logged my contact. Can I expected a warning from the FCC or would that happen only if one of the gods of the net police report it? I only seem to do it on 20 meters. I didn't post this to get any lectures, I made a mistake and just wondered what would happen

W4KJG and KA4DPO like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry you will be fine, its happened to all of us.

M7GJG, KX4O, SA6CKE and 9 others like this.
  3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

As a newer ham, I encourage you to know your privileges and operate accordingly. The police aren't going to come and get you for a 'one off' event but there's really no reason why you cannot control your equipment to stay within your band privileges.

W2JKT, WN1MB, KD2UHD and 6 others like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No sweat, don't worry about it. The fact you are just means that your going to be great amateur.

Work on upgrading and I hope to work you on the Air.

M7GJG, N8ZL, KD2UHD and 4 others like this.
  5. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Relax. Watch your band edges. You're not the first and not likely the last. I did it myself years back.

N8ZL and K0UO like this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Also... if you go ahead and upgrade to Extra, which is quite easy, you won't have to worry about it :)

WS4JM, N5PAR, NK2U and 5 others like this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing will happen: ham radio is an honor sport. We don't ask, and you don't tell... :rolleyes:

K0UO, N3AWS and WZ7U like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seriously, look for black helicopters circling overhead and check behind the bushes to see if they're concealing FCC enforcement agents, because they might be.:)

KD2UHD, AF7XT, WQ4G and 2 others like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha, no. :)

FCC's position is that the service should be self-policing. It's highly unlikely that they would even notice, even if somebody reported you to them. ;)

Just be careful... or maybe upgrade so you don't have to be so careful... after all, you have some practice being an Extra now, right? :D

KC3RAA likes this.
  10. KC3RAA

KC3RAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Making the mistake just makes me want to get my Extra even more now. I've been studying on and off, but maybe now it should be more on than off. I've caught myself at least a handful of times out of my class but at least now, I will be double checking.
    When I once picked up the wrong mic and transmitted on my VHF radio when I thought I was on HF taught me to move the unused mic out of my reach. I'm pretty good at learning from my mistakes

AF7XT, K0UO, N3AWS and 2 others like this.