"Access Denied"

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Jun 10, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I should know the answer, but I don't. My new "webcam" seems to be saving pictures to "My Pictures," but since I haven't had reason to try that before, I get a "you don't have permission, ACCESS DENIED" message. I find several other folders are actually the same "access denied" category. When I go to "Security" and try to change permissions, all but "special permissions" are checked, but "special permissions" is grayed out, and won't let me check mark the box. I already have "administrator" privileges. Any suggestions to allow access to the locked folders? (I've already tried the "tips" in the MS help area, and either they don't work, or the entry doesn't exist in the registry!

P.S. D*ll computer wants a $100 fee up front to even ASK them a question.:mad:

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is the camera has an account that's not letting you in the directory (directories) it created (creates.)

My first guess: Maybe this will allow you to take ownership of the directory the camera created in the picture directory (answer at bottom of web page):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-c-drive/9531a5a1-46e3-4ccd-911a-a506e1a795c4

But this may screw up the camera's ability to save pictures to that directory.

My second guess is getting into the local group policy editor. It's a "snap in" within mmc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...ows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn265982(v=ws.11)

It's been a while since I've clicked around a local group policy editor, but somewhere under "user configuration", you should find the account of the camera. And within the account of the camera, there should be some place to click to allow everyone access.

Sorry, I don't have a windows computer to click around in to give more precise instructions. I was teaching this kind of stuff in my active directory class a couple years ago. Haven't had a windows box now for 6 months.

Hope this helps lead you to an answer.

3. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

The webcam was probably designed for earlier versions of Windows like XP, which did have a usable "My Pictures" folder. The "My Pictures" entries in modern versions of Windows aren't meant for storage, they are used for backwards-compatibility with batch files and DOS-based installers and utilities that are rarely seen today. The typical default folder for videos in Windows 10 is "C:\Users\%username%\Videos" and for pictures it's "C:\Users\%username%\Pictures". If you can reconfigure your webcam to use one of those, you should be fine.

Ben

4. WA9SVD

I'll try that, but what (D*ll? ) seems to have been done, is lock many of the files (MY Documents, MY Pictures, MY Music, etc.) so they are not accessible even with an administrator's privileges. Not sure HOW to reconfigure the webcam; I still haven't heard from Logitech about a solution yet.

5. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Check "controlled folder access". I had a problem with an older version of Photoshop Elements. It would only save to the desktop, not the desired folder. I had to allow the app through controlled folder access.
    Hope this helps.

6. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

They are not really locked, they are not files, they are not even folders, they are junctions, which means you cannot store anything in them. Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type or paste "cmd /k dir /AL "%userprofile%\documents" into the "Open" box, click "OK" and you will see them listed as "Junction", pointing to the real folders. They are a default part of Windows and their purpose is to guide older DOS-based installers and utilities that expect those folders to exist.

It might be helpful if you explain why you can't simply browse to "C:\Users\%username%\Pictures" when saving pictures.

Ben

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  7. WA9SVD

Well, for one thing, the "webcam" automatically saves the files, and I've TRIED (multiple times) to do a directory on all of the "Pictures" folders for the users, but no dice.
    Tried that. There IS no "Local Group Policy " listed, so I can't change something that doesn't exist.:(

8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WA9SVD

Whatever is a solution, I'm still searching for a location for the files (images) produced by the webcam!:(