ad: Prosistel-1

Acceptable talk on amateur radio band's.

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KF7WAG, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Air Force MARS still uses autopatch.

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Whats the difference in using the four letter word you spoke of and saying Freakin? There is none.

3. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ABSOLUTELY, YOU GET MY DRIFT.

4. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

97.113 Pretty much covers what you can and can not say on the radio.
    Codes, Cyphers, obsenity, Music, are the basics.

Nowhere does the FCC say you can't talk about politics.
    However... one of the purposes of Amateur Radio is to foster good will.
    And there are two specific subjects that are lightning rods, Religion, and Politics.

IMO, if you want to talk about either of those two at work or on the air, you do so at your own risk.
    For example:
    A simple remark about the George Bush's recent passing may degenerate into a heated discussion of one party vs another rather quickly unless the unspoken rule is applied by both parties.

5. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't talk about religion or politics at work because I have to work with those people and there's no sense fostering ill will. Plus there may be HR issues to deal with.

On the air is another matter. I kind of understand avoiding such topics on repeaters for similar reasons - you are likely to be in a fairly small group that regularly uses a given repeater. But on HF I don't really have an issue with it as long as it's kept civil (big problem for some there, I know.) If you agree, join in. If you want to politely disagree and discuss and the conversation is such as to encourage that, also fine. Don't like it, move on. All kinds of people have all kinds of opinions and beliefs I disagree with or outlike dislike. I don't (mostly, with a few extreme exceptions) dislike the PEOPLE as a result. And even with the exceptions, so what? Know what happens when a stranger decides they don't like you? Nothing. They don't like me or I them. So what? Life goes on. There are lots of people I don't like and lots more that I do. That's life. No doubt there are lots of people who dislike me. That's fine with me too.

6. K6LPM

One thing to remember is that the airways know no international bounderies and they travel everywhere. As such, we are like ambassadors and we represent ourselves, our nation and amateur radio as a whole. Who doesn't like to make a good impression when meeting others. I believe as adults we inheirently know right from wrong and what is generally accepted as being in good taste and behaviour versus that which is considered rather poor taste for the community in which we are participating. It isnt so much as what the rules say or what is legal or not.... it is what is considered respectful. What is respectful to others in your community and what is respectful of yourself and how you represent. I understand that times change and sometimes the envelope needs to be pushed and that a certain amount of rebellion exsists in us all. The ham bands is not the place. Today you have the places to participate in frank discussions. Believe me, I am far from a prude, a square, Choir Boy, Teachers Pet or conformist. I can be very anti-establishment in many of my ways, However, the airways upon the amateur bands are not the place to promote ideals or confront and rebel against the systems or mores that feel unjust. My strong opinion is that the basic premises as to the privledge to operate on the amateur bands is indeed a very SACRED responsibility that allows us to intereact in a greater civilized way, above and beyond the political and cultural differences of many nationalities regardless of current world affairs. We as a united community foster goodwill and technical achievement on a personal level beyond all else. That is a rather unique priveledge and deserves a certain sancity and respect above and beyond.
    Please show respect for others , for yourself and for the privledge of operating on the airwaves. Ham radio is a sacred opprotunity to foster the goodwill of mankind on a a most personal level.
    Additionally: To those that fail to honor or respect the privledge, may the curse of the WouffHong and application of the Rettysnitch be swift and mercifully served. Hi!

WN1MB likes this.
  7. K6LPM

Ya know, as I am just sitting here pondering,,,,,, I feel as if I am a fairly liberal and easy going person. I am a younger generation and I am easier going than most. Not much of anything can offend me. Certainly foul language doesnt bother me.....Or does it? I really dont know why in everyday conversation "foul" words or as George Carlin had once very humorously described as "The Seven Dirty Words you Cant Describe on Television" they dont bother me in the very least. However, for some reason especially lately, when I here groups or guys on the air in a roundtable such as heard on the lower HF bands, such types of adjectives and various forms as what was referred to as potty mouth has disturbed and offended me to a very noticiable extent. I would feel I would be rather immune to any feeling other than indifference. I work in the construction trades and live a rather middle class lifestyle. Such language never bothers me. However as I tune across 80 or 40 meters and listen in on some of the regular groups of guys, such use of language grates upon me like fingernails on a chalkboard. It is like epidemic. Is it not everywhere?! Come on surely there are people with much greater class than myself! Lets not succomb to the seven dirty words on ham radio. Television and entertainment yes but not the ham bands.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018