ad: M2Ant-1

Acceptable talk on amateur radio band's.

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KF7WAG, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh,,, I dunno???
    Not very good literary example huh? I guess I dont represent well.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not clear. While you MAY discuss what you do for a living, for, say YaeComWood, you can NOT actually conduct such business over the air. I.e., you can't say "I'll meet you at XYZ Store" where I work and give you a discount." Actually endorsing a specific shop may well be over the line. Use the cell phone for that.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, first time I ever saw that many greengrocer's apostrophes in one short paragraph. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    WN1MB likes this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I'm aghast at that blatant display of shameless, promiscuous punctuation. Some people refuse to accept, let alone respect the fact that there's only a finite number of punctuation marks in the world. If we're to maintain a sustainable pool of punctuation marks in reserve, then this type of wasteful use MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY!

Please! Do your part. Do it for the children. Do it for your children's children.

Remember: an apostrophe is a terrible thing to waste.

5. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Victor Borge get's it;

K6LPM and KG7WGX like this.
  6. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All I can say is the knights of standards and practices would blush at some of what I've heard.

7. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

It wonders me whether there have been any recent FCC enforcement actions based on unacceptable content.

8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The way I've heard it explained, if an amateur is using language that is heard on commercial broadcast TV or radio, the FCC would most likely lose any court case they would bring against that, so they won't even try. If you've listened to broadcast TV and radio lately, you know that they can set the bar pretty low.

There are a few amateurs who go still lower than that, but most of them are also guilty of some other infraction where the law is more clear-cut and less ambiguous. The FCC has very limited resources, so they'll usually go for the charges that will most easily stick, if they do anything at all.

So the net result is that no, I'm not aware of any recent enforcement actions on the basis of foul language alone.

I'd love it if someone would bring up a case that would show I'm uninformed on this matter.

N0IOP likes this.
  9. K6LPM

Love the Great Dane!

10. K6LPM

I dont believe that the FCC actually takes people to court. They issue a Notice of Liability and the person or entity charged must reply to the notice as to the circumstances and such. The FCC in days past used to yield much the same type of power as the IRS where a person is considered guilty unless proven innocent.
    Any "court" proceedings are held by an administrative law judge from the US department of Justice.

N2UHC likes this.