Acceptable talk on amateur radio band's.

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KF7WAG, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5ZEN

KD5ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is common sense and common courtesy, and maybe even common decency, are not that common any more.

WB0MPB, K4AGO, WQ4G and 6 others like this.
  2. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We talk about everything under the sun amongst our 2 meter drive-time group, including current events and politics. There's a wide range of political opinions represented, and we keep things civil.

Heck, I've even learned a thing or two along the way. If things start to get a little tense someone will suggest changing the topic, and there's no hard feelings. Occasionally, even hams can act like adults.

K4AGO, KD8DEY and WD4IGX like this.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not using amateur radio for business doesn't mean that you can't talk about businesses or endorse businesses on amateur radio. It means that you can't install 2 meter radios in your taxi cabs to have the drivers to be dispatched.

In terms of what is appropriate to discuss, I say use your best judgement. I personally try to keep religion and politics out of the picture because of the diversity on the amateur radio bands, sometimes politics is touched upon a little, it happens just don't be offensive.

WY1P and WD4IGX like this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The real problem is that there is no consensus on what those terms mean or what qualifies for each.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone said that laws [regulations] are for those who obey them.
    For decades, FCC has been yuuugely understaffed and underfunded. They've had to prioritize their operations, and ham radio was the first to be cut. I don't expect it to go back to anything like how it was. About the only thing you can do about miscreants is to not give them any attention. And, don't acknowledge they're affecting you. Even better, don't even acknowledge them. And certainly don't engage them. IOW, spin the big knob.

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there used to be seven words you couldn't say, but that recently got cut back to six.

Rege

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

There're LOTS of words that my mother would be embarrassed to hear coming from my lips.

K4AGO and W7UUU like this.
  8. KD5ZEN

KD5ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall a time while driving with my teen kids in the car, I was cut off and reacted with a verbal assault for the ages. My daughter, looked at me and said, "do you kiss your mom with that mouth?"

I said, "no, but I kiss yours."

N2UHC, KV4JW, KA4KOE and 3 others like this.
  9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I refrain from topics I wouldn't discuss around my Mom (now deceased), pastor, children, employer. Always good advice in that maxim.

WA9SVD, WA7PRC and K4AGO like this.
  10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Use your common sense.....