Acceptable talk on amateur radio band's.

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KF7WAG, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I"ve heard one of The amateur's here locally on The 2m band talking once about That certain Thing's are'nt allowed To be talked about on The amateur radio band's such as politic's and Can't use It for Commercial or business use but really what else Is'nt allowed on The amateur airwave's such as If someone Is talking about movie's or tv show's any brand name's or Commercial title's during normal ragchew, So far I"ve already known That any profanity other Than Damn Is'nt allowed, But Is There anything else?

2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The short answer is, I just try to imagine my mom is listening, and not cause her to be embarrassed.

W0AQ, W9RAC, WQ4G and 6 others like this.
  3. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I Guess That Could work, But not everyone Is like That, That would be why The fcc has regulation's on It.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is legal to talk about politics.

But it may not be the best idea.

Same with religion.

K1SZO, NE1U, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  5. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

You can certainly discuss the proper and improper use of apostrophes!

Mike

KN4SMO, K7KBN, W2TXB and 11 others like this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been said that, in polite company, it's best to not discuss politics or religion.

VK2PEZ, AE7BT and W5KGP like this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Be like those Cartoon Chipmunks,,,, The ones that are overly polite to each other,,,,
    "thank you, you are so very kind , but I must insist that you go first"
    Seriously, It probably wouldnt be a bad Idea if every amateur kept an up to date rule book on their bookshelf for reference.
    Ideally, in the perfect ham radio world, this shouldnt even be a matter of questioning, as this is a subject that we are already supposed to know. Rules, Regulations and Operating Procedures are prerequisite study materials that we must prove proficient and knowledgeable if we are to pass the Amateur Radio examination in order to receive a license....
    However, I never wish to scold or humiliate anyone and to the contrary, I would encourage and highly recommend anyone unsure or not knowing to always ask. There is no such thing as a stupid question (sometimes stupid answers). Knowledge is power! Never let pride compromise your power!
    Basically as I recall (I need a bookshelf with current updated references... do as I say not as I do!) The rules and Regulations have been clear that we arent to use our radio communications that we cant participate in communications that are commercial or facilitate in the operations of any business or has any pecuniary interest nor can we accept money or any gift of monetary value for using our radios to intiate or pass traffic for others. We may not engage in third party traffic with countries we dont have a third part agreement. We must not broadcast, must not play music, not engage in language considered foul or obscene. FOUL and OBSCENE have been challenged over the years and it usually is tested by what is called a community standard.
    It is my opinion regardless of what your own local community standard might be customary, the plain fact is that electromagnetic radio waves that we utilize do not stop at any political cultural or geographical boundaries it doesnt stop at some border beyond my own domicile . We must set our own community standard. We should realize that without borders and across multiple cultural, political and theological beliefs we must conduct ourselves in such a way that it promotes a more higher standard of respect and diplomacy. After all we are diplomats of a more universal world and must act like the dignitary we represent ourselves and our conduct over the airwaves. Take pride, have dignity, be diplomatic. Be an ambassador and always practice the diplomacy of the great dignitary that you are. Consider yourself a world voice and the airwaves are like your embassy. Do true world leaders (at least the ones that are genuinely respected) do they often make off color remarks or speak in rude disrespectful language or curse just to make a point? Or would you expect them to? Lets have some class or at least pretend to (fake it until ya make it) Pretend you are the diplomat and show the utmost respect for others. If we start showing and setting the example, and can better ourselves and our standard, It will become unpopular, embarrassing, and disgraceful to be that one guy ,,, the anti social one that feels he must push the envelope and thinks he has to use some foul word to make a point or push the boundaries. The amateur radio community has long held an international way of self governing that has relied on hams conducting themselves to a higher civilized manner. Self governing does not include policing or acting authoritive over one and another either!

KC4LOV and KD8DEY like this.
  8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You never met My Mom.....

K2MOB, WB0MPB, KD2ACO and 3 others like this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My rule is: Anything within common sense, common courtesy, and common decency is allowed. Particularly with International contacts, that precludes religious or political discussions (falls under "common sense, and/or common courtesy."). Otherwise, anything mutually agreeable should be fine.

KD2ACO likes this.
  10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep in mind that, while the FCC doesn't have many outright prohibitions, repeater owners are within their rights to set more stringent rules than the FCC has set. Some may prohibit politics and religion, for example. Others may have more arbitrary rules.

K4AGO and KU4X like this.