Accept QSL Cards as Confirmed Status for Old Hams

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by WA4WZP, Jun 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4WZP

WA4WZP Subscriber QRZ Page

I have received an email from QRZ.com Support Team, that QSL cards cannot be used for QSO confirmation. I would like to suggest that this be modified under a 'grandfather' clause. For example...and I might not be the only one...

I have been a ham since 1965. Most of my contacts (usually VHF/UHF) were made during the 1960s and 1970s. (I am gradually adding these to my QRZ logbook). I am now 79 years old and can be only 'minimally' active during the remaining years of my life.

The possibility of earning a State or Grid Square award, during my remaining years is slim-to-none, unless my old QSL cards can be used for confirmation - as they were in the 'olden days'.

There may be other 'old hams' facing the same situation as me. It would require a lot of effort, especially for the QRZ volunteers, but here is a suggestion on how it could work.

1. The QSO with proper information would have to be listed in the operators QRZ Logbook and noted that QSL card had been received.

2. QSL cards would have to be scanned, both sides if needed, and posted in the Image section or somewhere the QRZ volunteer could access the info. When the QSL card 'image' passed inspection, the volunteer would mark the contact 'confirmed'.

3. To keep this from being an impossible task, a cut-off time would need to be established. For example, to be 'grandfathered' the QSL card contact info would have to be dated no later 1/1/2000 (or maybe the date that QRZ.com became 'alive'.

Thanks and God Bless,

Wayne WA4WZP