AC12V 6J1 Valve Pre-amp Tube Board Kit Build thread

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by WB0MPB, Jun 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all you electronics kit builders.
    I am going to document my build of it for anyone that wants to follow my build can. If things like this boar you then do not watch the tread and if you (a few people that have harassed me in other of my build threads.

This is the first tube (6J1) kit I have built in many many years. I want to build it and then see if it works and then refresh my brain on the operation of tubes. I have not work with tubes since college.

So here is the first picture of what I got when I opened the plastic bags.
    0606181407a.jpg

I stared building today. I don't get a lot down each time I work on it due to the pain of sitting there building and it is so hard for me to see it. I have put on eye magnifiers and have two different free standing magnifiers that I have to use which ever one that works best for what I am looking for. It is a lot of work to read the color strips or numbers on the components.
    Here is the board before I started putting parts on it today.
    AC12V 6J1 Valve Pre-amp Tube Board5.jpg

This is the start of the board. I also start with the resistors and then move on to the caps.
    0608181839.jpg

More to come.

John, WB0MPB

VK4FFAB likes this.
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

This is where I have gotten to today with my pre-amp board. All of the resistors are installed with the exception of the comment down further in the post. I am really enjoying this. I have to, before it is built, go through my box of wires and wall warts to see if I have on that will work for this. If not I am going to have to buy one. The input voltage and amperage is 120 volt to 12 volt AC in and at least 1 amp rated. Does anyone on here have one like that laying around extra that you would like to get rid of?
    0616181901a.jpg I have one 4.7K resistor left over but with my eyes I do not see any where on the board to but it. If anyone can spot one resistor spot I missed please let me know.
    Next I am going to install the diodes and then the caps.
    Thanks John, WB0MPB

3. VK4FFAB

VK4FFAB Subscriber QRZ Page

You wont need to worry about 12v AC just use 12v DC, those diodes D2-5 are rectifying the AC to DC, so the DC will pass on though and the smoothing caps will clean up an ripple on the wall wart PSU you might be using.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun project :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WB0MPB likes this.