AC outlet voltage at 78v.... that's just weird

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7UUU, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A compromised neutral would cause a drop on one set of circuits and a rise on the other. I missed the part where he measured more than 120 volts on a different circuit.

As far as "there is absolutely nothing else it could be", I would be very hesitant to say that with certainty.

N2EY likes this.
  2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Feel free to PM me for my phone number. I have 20 years as an electrician. 80% residential.

Ed

3. K8MHZ

"Romex" or NM cable is great stuff. It's tough and when installed properly will last a lifetime. The problem is the installation. Most residential non-electrician types are hacks and do crappy work, and that is prevalent cause of failure. Another prevalent cause is the use of cheap receptacles and/or not pig tailing them.

WA7PRC and N2EY like this.
  4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

42V drop across the series mouse?
    73, -Bob ah7i/w4

5. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Put it this way, I am 99.99999% certain that is the problem. Been doing this too long to say that is my first "go to" area. Of course there is a slight possibility he can have a corroded hot lead that is passing diminished voltage but no current. east to tell, just put a load on the circuit and the measured voltage will drop to zero.

6. K8MHZ

I sent him a PM too. I offered to talk him through the process over the phone.

This is my 21st year as a licensed electrician. I have years of unlicensed factory work too. (I know, I know). I have done industrial, heavy industrial, commercial and residential and have a very good rapport with the inspectors.

KC8VWM and N2EY like this.
  7. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

We need to go back to knob and tubing, the hell with that new fangled romex.

AC0OB and WJ4U like this.
  8. K8MHZ

You have seen more bad neutrals than bad connections in receptacle boxes? Not me. Also, why would you expect a compromised neutral when there was no indication of a voltage rise on the adjacent circuit? If Dave had a true reading of 78 volts on one side, the other would have to be 162 volts. You would think he would have noticed that.

KC8VWM and N2EY like this.
  9. K8MHZ

Actually, K&T is pretty tough stuff. There is lots of it still in service in my area.

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be just about anything that has been listed here.
    My bet is on a loose connection, most likely due to backstabbing. If the house is wired that way, go to HD, buy mid priced receptacles & switches. Throw the main & go to town replacing every single one in the house. You will sleep better, I promise.

Ed

N2EY likes this.