AC outlet voltage at 78v.... that's just weird

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7UUU, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Folks - this problem has been solved over a week ago!!!

I do appreciate all the tips and help along the way - it was a SUPER simple fix (see post 114)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N2EY and WA7PRC like this.
  2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah but i just want the last word.

KJ4VTH and KI5WW like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You got it!!!

oops - sorry :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I have the last word. Worship me
    [​IMG]

AC8UN likes this.
  5. KK4YWN

its hard to be first-place in a race against weirdos, but so help me, i shall own that shameful trophy if its the last thing i do

W4IOA likes this.
  6. W7UUU

It's yours!

DANGIT!! :mad::mad::mad:

N7ANN and W4IOA like this.
  7. KK4YWN

this passive-aggression is embarrassing :D

W4IOA and W7UUU like this.
  8. AC8UN

AC8UN Ham Member QRZ Page

Alright who took the picture of you kissing my ring, just for that you get the early shift rowing this Saturday.:D

W4IOA likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The explanation is simple: Your house is small, and was built a long time ago.

My house was built in 1950, and the original electrical service was 60 amp with fuses and 12 120 volt circuits for the entire house. And they didn't use all of them! This for a four-bedroom house with attached garage, LR, DR, basement with laundry, attic and whole-house fan.

The reason for so few circuits was that, in those days, there just wasn't all that much electrical "stuff". The folks who designed my house (and all the others in the neighborhood) figured on the following:

- One or two electric lights in each room.

- An electric toaster, exhaust fan and refrigerator in the kitchen. One outlet for an electric mixer, percolator, and/or fry pan. (In 1950, nobody had a microwave, toaster oven, bread machine, blender, electric can opener, etc., etc. and the electric kitchen appliances that people did have were usually not left plugged in.)

- A radio in the living room

- A washing machine in the basement, and an outlet for an iron.

- One or two outlets in each room for various purposes (vacuum cleaner, portable fan, clock radio, record player.)

And that was it! The heat, stove and water heater were/are gas, so no need for big circuits for them. None of them needed electrical power to operate.

In 1950, many many electrical devices that are common today were either not invented yet or were not considered to be common enough among the people who would buy such houses. Electrical stuff cost money, then and now, and when you're trying to build mass-produce homes to sell for $10,000, you don't splurge on anything.

It's similar to how houses of that era usually had just one telephone - usually in or near the kitchen. Maybe an upstairs extension. Again - phones cost money!

My house also had very little closet space as=built. In fact there were no closets at all on the first floor, and only one tiny closet per bedroom upstairs (plus a linen closet in the hallway). In those days it was common to have "wardrobes" for one's clothes - and people just didn't have all that many clothes to begin with!

If you had told the people who designed my house that in the future the 60 amp service would be upgraded - not once but twice (100A, 200A) and tried to describe all the electrical devices that would be added - they'd never believe you.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    W7UUU likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But that's not the way to bet.

Every rule has its exceptions. There are unqualified people in every field. Yada yada yada, bash the licensed/educated/trained professionals, this is the Zed.

That's Texas. Not everywhere.