AC outlet voltage at 78v.... that's just weird

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7UUU, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And a plastic old work box is so mucheasier than a metal one.

Ed

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume different States (and probably cities, counties, etc.) have varying have requirements. My folk's house in So. Cal. has only ONE GFCI, in the master bathroom, but maybe to only one half of the outlet. It is also wired to the outdoor outlets (two) but I'm not sure what else. When we installed an outdoor hot tub, and it didn't work, it took a while to track down a tripped GFCI. Resetting it worked, but then ne wondered if it was REALLY giving protection ANYWHERE!

3. WA9SVD

Hi Dave,

Short reply, I'd get the Electric Co. out QUICK, to check for a broken or improper ground. The two lines SHOULD be symmetrical, but that relies upon a GOOD ground/neutral. Otherwise, things go "kerfuffle" quickly. If you have a bad ground/neutral, one line can be low (as your 78 Volts) but the other side will be HIGH, by as much as 30-40 Volts or more. Sometimes the ground connection at the power transformer goes bad, and the problem isn't necessarily on your property.

Good luck.

K9ASE likes this.
  4. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

Like the day's of knob and tube,D.C. services. Carter switching ,Colt/frank adams/federal pacific , equipment and materials can tell you when things were adopted and evolved.I believe it was a QUICKWIRE type connection that failed at one of his outlets.Eventhough It's prohibited the soldered and tapped joints are as good as the day they were made ,quickwire'd outlets are a guaranteed service call especially when the the little ceramic heaters start to get plugged into those .37 cent UL Approved receptacles you best be thinking if your light's start blinking.

5. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave's problem was solved a week ago and documented in post #114.

N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Poet

7. WA9SVD

THAT is all well and good. He solved HIS problem, AND corrected it at HIS end. Some of us, (can you believe it) ?" have similar problems further "up the line" so replies can still serve a purpose. Does YOURS?

8. KS4W

Since your reply was directed specifically at Dave, I thought I'd let you know that his problem was resolved. I'm sorry you took offence.

73 and happy holidays,

Mark

9. WA9SVD

I'm just glad Dave solved his problem promptly. (That's why most of us are here.) He's a friend, and I hope he and Anne will be happy in their new abode and locale. I wish them both the best. (And YES, I am just a LITTLE bit jealous of his new QTH...:D)

10. KS4W

I'm sure most of us are - I know I am!

KC3BZJ likes this.