AC outlet voltage at 78v.... that's just weird

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7UUU, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

UUU:

Unfortunately, there are "professionals" who know less than many amateurs! This is true in all fields let alone where electricians are concerned.

It used to be, in Texas, to become a "professional engineer", instead of taking the examinations, if you could get 3-existing professional engineers to "sign off" on your application, then you, too, could become a "professional engineer"! Nowadays, if you can get 5-existing professional engineers to "sign off", you can get a waiver and not have to take the examinations!

https://engineers.texas.gov/lic_basic.htm

The result is that, especially in certain industries, there were a LOT of "professional engineers" who knew very little about anything and yet had the "PE" after their names. The electric utility industry was very heavy with such personnel. At the electric company where I was employed for over 10-years, having a PE meant an automatic salary increase of $100.00 per month.

Fortunately, today, the vast number of professional engineers have taken the examinations and are a lot more knowledgeable about such. But, there are still some PE who got their designation by the "good old boys network" and who really need to be avoided!

Glen, K9STH

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When engineers got their PE at an upstate NY electric and gas utility we were told our PE and a quarter would get us a cup of coffee. A 25 cent cup of coffee indicates how long ago that was!

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

In our house, they saved a few pennies by keeping the number of GFI's to an absolute minimum. IIRC, we have one in the laundry room, which then leads to an outdoor outlet, which then goes to the bathroom.

And in the garage, the GFI outlet is conveniently mounted up near the garage door opener. So when that one blows, I have to find a long stick to reach up and push the button.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think this is quite accurate...you may have been able to avoid the "Fundamental of Engineering" (EIT) portion of the test. You still had to satisfy the degree requirements and take the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) portion of the test.
    Since the adoption of the NCEE testing State requirements have become much more unified between the states. This made reciprocity much easier. Years ago it was a free for all each state having separate requirements and actually preparing their own tests. In the early days the tests were predominantly Structural and Civil. I recall some old timer EE's and ME's telling me how they had to study Structural and Civil in order to pass the old State exams. In those days a PE was a generic license. Once you had it you were considered licensed in all disciplines.
    I think the disciplines are much too specialized today to consider this. I know some engineers who went back and retested in other disciplines after becoming a PE in order to gain EE/ME status.
    NCEE testing gets pretty specific...EE, ME, HVAC, Instrumentation, Aeronautical, Civil, Structural, etc.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BCT:

In the "goode olde dayes" in Texas, as long as you had an "E" in your degree, you did not have to take any tests to get your "PE" if 3-persons who already held a "PE" signed off on your application. Even today, according to the requirements posted on the appropriate webpage, if 5 already PE individuals sign off, you can get a waiver for any of the examinations.

In the late 1980s, when I went to work at TXU (as a telecommunications consultant), there was a "push" to get as many people "qualified" as a PE since there were discussions happening to do away with the "good old boy" PE system. Although my degree involves more than just engineering, and I have always been employed in a technical discipline, since it doesn't end with an "E", I was not eligible to get a PE by the "good old boy" network. In fact, since my degree doesn't end with an "E", it would be much more difficult for me to get a PE in Texas. However, I did take, and pass, the examinations for the BICSI RCDD which is very similar to the PE but is aimed at the telecommunications industry. The RCDD is recognized internationally, not just within a particular state like the PE. Many cities, states, and even the United States Government, require an RCDD approval for telecommunications projects which definitely gives some "status" to the designation.

Glen, K9STH

6. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

The code has changed a bit over the years,and for some of the early spec houses the Gfci was placed in the bathroom for the very reason you stated.No surprise when some one using an outside outlet has to do a easter egg hunt to find where the Gfci was hidden.Later as people got Electric Dryers hair curlers .... THE AHJ required multiple Gfci's for point of use application.This may be different in other counties or States,If you have never done it test monthly,no one else does.

K8MHZ likes this.
  7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When wiring homes, all GFIs were discrete, except for a couple (2 - 20 amp circuits GFCI protected on kitchen counters). At least you are in teh same room if it's tripped.

Ed

8. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Been there, done that!

I would like to add that the monthly tests aren't just for the sake of testing. When you trip the device, you 'exercise' the moving parts in them and keep them from seizing up and failing.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So based on this, what are your thoughts on metal vs plastic boxes? I can think of pros and cons for both.

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They both have their places.

Most people would be surprised at how well listed plastic boxes contain electrical fires. They are made of self extinguishing thermoplastic. If you set one on fire with a torch and try to let it burn, you will have to keep the torch on it or else the box will stop burning.

N2EY and AA7QQ like this.