ad: elecraft

About to buy a truck; should I go with diesel for less QRN?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AK5B, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad to know that my impressions of too much play in the Jeep's steering was not just my imagination, either---and up until that point of realization on the freeway I was pretty stoked on the Jeep's 4WD talents (salesman put it in 4WD low and took us up a steep little rocky dirt embankment next to their service department). The nearest hill of any consequence is about 70 miles from here. Our coastal lowlands are pancake flat. Talk about driving a long distance to the trail...:D

I do like to head out to Northern Nevada once in a while to do some digging with a good friend who has several mining claims, but other than that, the long, flat hard-packed sand of the driveable beaches are going to be my primary 4X4 playground.

While this may seem like overkill (((((((and it is to a fair degree))))))), I will have a great mobile platform for my hefty screwdriver and a few VHF/UHF loops---as well as a very capable "evacuation vehicle" whenever the next hurricane looks like it is heading our way. This was a point my wife came up with and is a very worthwhile kind of "insurance" to have at one's disposal here on the tropical Texas coast (helluva thunderstorm going on now and buckets are coming down like crazy---better post this before the power goes out :eek:).

Jeff

N0TZU likes this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AK5B likes this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

About the same here; judging from some dealer visits up in Boerne a week or so ago. They had a Ford Bronco all tricked out in a mix of deluxe packages on display out by the entrance---but it wasn't even for sale---just a good sales tactic to get people to stop by and take a look. (got me and a few others while I was there). Dealer said they'd start to take orders (pre-orders, mind you) October thirteenth with a rough delivery date around December...

They did have a nice F150 Raptor (not the Shelby Raptor) for $79K plus actually for sale and the rest of the vehicles on the lot were all used.

Certainly not the best time to be shopping for a new anything.:(

Jeff

4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple of thoughts from the cheap seats.

If you choose a diesel, remember that engine repair costs will move the decimal point to the right one place. Any engine made in the 2000s has enough sensors and emissions control and other things on it, plus it's all packed into slightly less space than it requires under the hood. That translates into labor costs to take all of that off and put it back on. And they all have an Achilles' heel. All of them. An oil change will run you the better part of $200. My F350 with the 6.0 needs 15 quarts of oil plus a stiction modifier. It has two fuel filters, which I change myself, and they're $100 from Motorcraft. I had an EGR cooler fail back in the summer, $2100 to replace. (I had them do the oil cooler while they were in there.) I'm not trying to scare you off, just know what you're signing up for. As far as radio quiet, I have a Kenwood TS-480HX and a Diamond SD330 in it and no noise that I can discern.

I'm also a death wobble survivor on a 2002 Grand Cherokee. It's not that bad. Front suspension parts just wear out. Panhard bar, tie rod ends, bushings, sometimes ball joints, sometimes control arms. Mine was about $700 to repair. I put 265,000 miles on it before I sold it.

N2EY and AK5B like this.
  5. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something else to consider is a Honda Ridgeline. I have a 2020 and it has been great for 33,500 miles so far. Gets good (mid 20's) mpg and has good power. It rides very nice, and has a very useful trunk in the composite bed. I am 6'4" and fit comfortably in it. I have taken it to the beaches in Oregon and WA and it has a sand mode that makes it a dream to drive on the beaches where that is allowed. It has a torque vectoring AWD system that makes it even better in the snow than my wife's Subaru.

The wonderful thing is that it's hard to make a poor choice these days. Vehicles are so much better than they were in the "good old days". That new Tundra looks sweet, and any half ton from the big 3 will certainly serve you well.

AK5B likes this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for more input. Perhaps you missed some of my earlier posts but I already decided against diesel anything. Currently salivating over the 2022 Tundra that is due out (fingers and toes crossed) around December. Toyota is scrapping the gas-hog V8s and going with a gas V6, hybrid V6 and diesel V6 options---as well as independent rear suspension. Super!

My wife and I stopped by the local Toyota dealer's last weekend and fell in love with a 2021 Tundra parked in the showroom. All the windows were down which led me to inquire about the rear one. ("(Had it been removed for display?")

Turns out that the rear window can be completely lowered and an optional sunroof is also available---something I didn't know before. Both a huge plus for us as we liked the removable roof panels of the Jeeps a lot.

So now it's down to waiting for a new Tundra or going with a Ford possibly a bit sooner. Still need to test drive both and do further research.

Jeff

7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I had wondered about the Honda as I have had three very reliable Honda Accords in the 1980s and 1990s---but thought the Ridgeline was only 2WD. Glad to know that it isn't and is good on sand, especially since I'll be on beaches around here when operating portable sometimes.

Next time we go to Corpus we'll stop in at the Honda dealer, too.:)

Jeff

KD7LX likes this.
  8. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Watch Sarah take it off-road!

AK5B likes this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Ian! Great video! Definitely worth looking into further...

Jeff

10. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2018 Ram with V6 and 8 speed has slight ignition noise on HF. NB easily takes care of it but I've found that doing the ground straps on the hood and exhaust reduced it. If you are doing HF you have to do add some chokes to the antenna feed line to keep 40 meters out of the anti-lock braking system. You don't want your feed line radiating very much RF. No problems on the other bands in my case.

AK5B likes this.