About to buy a truck; should I go with diesel for less QRN?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AK5B, Oct 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely, vans make excellent utility vehicle. Trucks here are huge. I'm not sure they would fit around in urban places in Europe. I have a 1996 Chevy C1500, it was a listed as a full size truck back then when I bought it. Trucks these folks are discussing make it look like tiny and it is a decent size truck. I'm not kidding, modern trucks are gigantic now.
    K4PP

UT7UX likes this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to recall that were thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) involved in the class action suit against FCA, and I watched a fairly professional 10-minute video that demonstrated how one could see what happens with the wobble as well as some ways to remedy the situation.

Regardless of the seriousness of the dangers or prevalence of such occurrences I remain firmly against any Jeeps now since my test drive also gave me pause in regards to a loose steering feel at highway speeds.

I'm glad you found a good fuel cap for your diesel truck; stuff like that can make one's day.

Jeff

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

No worries; I am trying hard to not think about Hummers anymore. Hopefully I will be duly enamored with the F150 once I take one for a test drive.

Jeff

4. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't blame you. Jeeps are cool for trail rides but I have no desire to drive one to work every day.

There are class action lawsuits for everything these days. Even the cp4 pumps I mentioned. Some lawyer might get rich after everyone else gets their $24. :)

AK5B likes this.
  5. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure enough; I am also somewhat overwhelmed by the size of most trucks these days. I am used to driving smaller vehicles and it will take me some time to get used to one. Thank goodness I do not live in a city!

Btw, your STL pictured on tour QRZ page was one of my first inspirations for building my own several years ago, Paul. Good point about dipoles being underrated, too.

Jeff

K4PP likes this.
  6. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I really love American trucks but yes, as for tight Europe they seem somewhat gigantic. Small trucks like Ranger seem big enough here.

AK5B, N0TZU and K4PP like this.
  7. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

'91 GMC Syclone sounds good to me. :)

K4PP

UT7UX likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, it’s the steering on the highway that’s the problem day in and day out. My Wrangler was fun but driving a long distance to the trail wasn’t so much. At least it was small and easy to control. My F350 has the same solid axle steering slop and being much bigger and heavier requires a lot more active steering correction which is tiring.

AK5B likes this.
  9. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My son, an amateur radio operator, had a Ford F350 diesel truck for years and the maintenance costs were prohibitive. He recently bought a new pickup (gas) because of those maintenance costs. He does have a transceiver which was in the F 350 and now in the new truck. No real difference in "noise". Plus, in many places the cost difference between diesel fuel and gas is not much different. Recommend you go with gas

N0TZU and AK5B like this.
  10. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely what I will do, and it's still good to continue to get feedback from everyone here---thanks.

Now I am beginning to consider waiting until I can get my hands on a 2022 Tundra/Tacoma with the V6 and independent rear suspension---and go another route to get the storage unit stuff here another way (Penske/PODS) in the meantime.

A lot depends on the Ford test drive, dealer inventory, and what is or isn't available due to all the shortages, too. I am sure I will be torn between the two marques as I admire them both greatly, but it is also a good feeling to be narrowing my choices down more and more.

Driving up to San Antonio the other day was fun in a brand-new way, too. The xyl and I were "truck spotting" the entire 390-mile roundtrip. :D

We will soon be checking our local Carmax and see what's there, but knowing better versions of both are just around the corner I am tempted to wait for a brand-new vehicle with a full factory warranty.

Jeff