About ready to give it a try ... here is my template for my first attempt

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KQ4MM, Sep 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely. I might have added a 73.

I don't think this is the case, but there is something known as 'cut numbers'. They are used by contesters, etc... for brevity, but one must know they are hearing cut numbers for them to make any sense at all. NEVER used in callsigns. SOME guys use dah dah dah for zero which isn't technically a cut number, but most use the long DAH. You'll hear that quite often (mostly for "100 watts".

http://www.qsl.net/zs1an/contesting_faq.html#cut-numbers

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what one person thinks are the top 100. It's a good start!

https://lcwo.net/forum/563

There's a few on that list I might take exception to. i.e. " YEAH " ... I don't think I've ever heard that sent. YES is shorter!

3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks much. That lcwo site is a good one.

Al

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why We Use Q-signals and Abbreviations
    Maybe Google can find it but there was a list of common ham radio abbreviations for commonly sent words in an operators guide the ARRL used to give away.
    If you're struggling to get on the air on CW at 5 WPM, you don't want to send flowery prose like a letter to Queen Victoria. Keep it short and to the point because the band conditions may wipe out your path between long transmissions.
    Use the abbreviations, Q Signals help, try to learn the common ones like QSO and QRM. Instead of sending "please repeat what you sent last, there was some interference" Say "pse rpt last, QRM" .
    Instead of saying "thanks for the fine business radio contact" Say " tnx fb QSO".
    Shortening the time it takes to state your info can help keep you from loosing the QSO in the QSB !

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good list on wikipedia.

6. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3 more QSOs tonight, its getting a little easier already ... I may never get on phone again, CW ops are so very friendly..Guess I;m hooked.

I like the 200 word list idea, may have to try and put something together like the poster on the LCWO forum did ...

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I never made a list, it's just an observation.

Once you start copying "in your head" and don't write anything down at all, you start recognizing stuff easier and better.

OP HR DA... and you know it will be Dan or Dave with about 95% certainty. QTH BOS and you know it's Boston with high certainty. And on and on.

When I was teaching code classes I never let anyone write anything down -- just listen. I'd send team names and even folks who weren't sports fans recognized them way before I finished sending them: NY YAN...and they'd shout out "Yankees!" HOUSTON OI...and they'd shout "Oilers!" BOSTON CEL..."Celtics!" and so forth.

No prize for solid copy, but you can get almost solid copy by hearing maybe half of what's sent. Relax.:p

8. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Works well if your world is America. But I'm English. And not interested in sport. ;)