About ready to give it a try ... here is my template for my first attempt

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KQ4MM, Sep 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not a big deal and your way is fine.

My way just saves a bit of time!

If the bands were always open, time wouldn't matter much -- but unfortunately they aren't!:p

2. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I figured it was, was just hoping for and received some good advice from more seasoned operators.. Really was trying to avoid being overly verbose word wise and adopt the correct abbreviations, most used pro-signs and procedures from the start (as you say to save a bit of time). I think when 40 opens up a little more this evening I will jump in and give it a go...

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Try around 7.114, I'll be tuning for ya!

4. KQ4MM

@WR2E thanks for the kind offer, it will be after 18:30 central time before I can get behind the key, but I will start there if the freq is open, else I will move a few kHz either side ... Listen for the slow guy..:)

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually suppertime at 2330Z, but I usually tune through that part of the band so keep calling cq and we'll catch up sooner or later!

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's only 4:30 PM here and 40 doesn't open up for another few hours for me.

20's open at that time, however.

Here in So. Cal. to central TN is fine on 40m after about 7 PM local (9 PM your time).

I'm usually down below 7.040 but do tune up above 7.100 pretty often and there's a lot of good "slow code" activity there. Have fun!

7. KQ4MM

Well I did it, still shaking ... Poor KE4OH answered his CQ and he slowed down of me... if you read this, sorry for my butchering of CW, but we did exchange SKCC , Name, QTH, RST, Rigs and how long we have been in the hobby .... Its a lot harder to copy than LCOW word groups ... Need to listen and copy some live code for awhile before I try again.

N1OOQ likes this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! Steve is a great op, qso him many times. He's got an awesome boatanchor collection.

9. KQ4MM

Yep, he was on the Swan tonight, it was drifting a little so I had to chase him with the RIT, made for a good first QSO, we're both in TN so that was nice as well ....

I got a lot to learn ... Made a 2nd QSO, but still don't have the hang of the flow, once established and RST basic stuff sent do you have to keep doing your call de my call at the start and end of each transmission ( I know the 1o min ID rule) ... 2nd QSO would start each turn with R R and then right into next topic ... and end with BTU de his call( back to you I assume)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

You motivated me to answer a CQ myself (been off for 22 months). Tough band tonight!