ad: ProAudio-1

A youth has issue with radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W5IOH, Jun 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5IOH

W5IOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I'm out camping with my buddipole and I'm having swr issues. I set it up and fed it into my rig expert (I get a swr of 2.7 at 14.230). I plug it into my radio (ftdx 3000) and get a swr of 6.7-99.9. I'm 15 and feel stupid.

Reece Simmons
    KI5CXO

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Reece, welcome!

I don't have experience with the Buddipole, but I"m sure others will have good advice. Don't get discouraged! Bill

3. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

You can purchase an inexpensive travel tuner. That should enable you to load the antenna on all bands!
    ---Layne AE1N

4. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

If your antenna analyzer is showing a much lower SWR with the antenna than what your radio sees on the same freq (c. 14.23 MHz) something sounds fishy. A number of things could be going wrong.
    AE1N had a good idea about a travel tuner. Could try that.
    Might also try different coax -- or a different antenna. For example, you could buy (or borrow) an inexpensive wire antenna -- such as a GR5V for about $50 - $60.
    You could also enlist the help of an experienced ham (elmer) at a local radio club to work with you and help troubleshoot the issue(s).
    Good luck.

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is certainly the kind of issue that would be easier to diagnose in person instead of over the net.

I'd call the buddipole more of an antenna construction kit than an antenna. It's possible to build very good or very bad antennas with the pieces in the kit, and since loading coils and whip lengths are adjustable over a wide range, it should be possible to tune things to get a good match without resorting to a separate antenna tuner. But there is so much flexibility, it can be overwhelming at first. An antenna analyzer is almost essential to set up a buddipole well. Using the buddipole and an analyzer to set up various antennas in various configurations for different bands can teach you much about antennas.

Anyway, if your analyzer dissagrees so strongly with the SWR meter in your radio, assuming they are both on the same frequency, something is seriously amiss with one or the other. That's not a normal measurement error.

I'd suspect shorted or broken coax somewhere, a bad connector on one or the other, or a fault inside one or the other.

Borrowing a known-good meter, radio, or antenna from another ham would allow you to referee the disagreement between the two readings and determine which instrument is reading correctly, and whether your antenna is configured well.