ad: M2Ant-1

A YL Interview with KD9WHO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jun 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

What excites a YL about Ham Radio? Take a look inside and find out!

KC7ZXY, 9A5O, K8VSY and 8 others like this.
  2. W1KRI

W1KRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video!

KM9G likes this.
  3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent video, Kaitlin is an inspiration and shows what amazing work you can do in the hobby in such a short period of time. Well done!

4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Video. At first the Floppydisk 1541 in the back of KM9G, I saw it last time in the 1980s. :) At next the procedure to become a ham is different to the german, much intresting. Because in Germany it is easier to get a license. All could be done on an own advise. Only the exam has to be made at an official department to get the license. The motivation of KD9WHO is outstanding. Personally I dont know much YLs or girls/women which are really intrested in the hobby. But that can be caused by things like a boring public show what hamradio really is. Where sometimes only CW is presented as the measure of all things. And the people could try to beep their names and laugh about. Not a good way to present hamradio, I think.

JF1IRQ, HB9EPC, N7XCZ and 1 other person like this.
  5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve is doing amazing work encouraging youth to the Radio. Love his retro Computer stuff too. Another great video of an inspiring young lady with the world at her feet. Go Kaitlin!

KC7ZXY and KM9G like this.
  6. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve & @KD9WHO :

What a nice discussion! There were so many points made that I wanted to jump in with a comment about...I guess that is why the live chat!

It really is amazing (but not particularly surprising) what a draw portable ratio is.

I hope to catch you both on the air!

Mindy

KC7ZXY, HB9EPC and KM9G like this.
  7. KD2WDK

KD2WDK Ham Member QRZ Page

Was trying to figure out how I recognized her - then realized she was the one that gave me the rundown on when to expect my license after I passed tech with GLAARG a couple months ago. She's awesome.

Thanks for making the video!

KM9G likes this.
  8. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the kind comments Kaitlin. We are so glad that younger folks are seeing POTA as a fun option to get out with the radio, and enjoy some nature with friends; at the same time. There is nothing better than a S zero noise floor with a huge pileup. Also, I am quite happy that you were also motivated to get your Extra. Phone is always fun, but I would also get those CW and Digital chops up too because you can never have too many tools in the cerebral toolbelt. Hope to see you on the air at some point :) Looking forward to much better solar condx too... 73 W3AAX

KC7ZXY, 2E0TWD and KM9G like this.
  9. N8MRS

N8MRS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video It was great

10. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

interesting.

73 JF1IRQ

11. KD5W

KD5W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Always nice to see new people enjoying the hobby

12. 9A5O

9A5O Ham Member QRZ Page

So, girl scouting is where youngsters get interested in ham radio? In my days boy scouts offered patches for swimming, cooking, making fire... I even got courage to taste a roasted snake chunk (yuck!)... ham radio, though, was impossible task to get a girl interested in. My ham radio hook was a Morse code cheating in math class (dah-dit-dah-dit, the answer is C for question 3). Combining POTA now and ham radio is a logical step, I might take up trekking and mountain climbing myself someday.
    Anyway, kudos to KM9G, you know how to talk to young hams! Keep it up!!

KM9G likes this.
  13. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KM9G, it's HAM RADIO, not HAM.

14. HP3GNG

HP3GNG Ham Member QRZ Page

73, QUE SEAS INSPIRACION PARA MAS JOVENES Y YL COMO YO,
    HP3GNG GISELA LUNA DE PANAMA.

9A5O likes this.
  15. KN6NWZ

KN6NWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Scouting in responsible for a lot of youngsters getting into ham radio. My son's cub scout pack is now co-ed so I'm not sure how many girls are joining Girl Scouts anymore versus what is now just Scouts. I do believe the co-ed Scouts will result in more girls getting into ham radio.

9A5O likes this.