A XLR question

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by WV8RKO, Oct 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WV8RKO

WV8RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was gifted a Behringer XM8500 and a Heil 4 pin XLR cable for my Kenwood TS-440. Since the mic is 3 pin and the cable is 4 pin, I bought a 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR adapter. Well, something is not working, when I use the PTT switch, I get no audio going to the radio but the transmit light lights up. Since I am on a limited budget, would it be better to get a 3 pin Heil cable or a 4 pin microphone like the Heil HM-12?

2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

The mike is not designed to key up a transmitter.
    The 3 leads are a balanced audio and a ground and wired correctly to the radio's audio connector pins..
    You need to make up a PTT of some sort that works by hand separately and connected to the radio's PTT mike connector pin.
    I use one of these mike's in a shock mount on a Boom.
    A very good sounding low cost mike at $20.
    It has a shock mounted mike element and along with the boom shock mount is non responsive to boom taps or shocks.
    A PTT switch I use is a small plastic box with momentary contact switches and one push on/push off so I have both hands free to use the computer or look at paper work while keyed up.
    Don't discount a hand PTT switch until you try one for awhile but you need to put the mike into a holder of some sort.
    A holder with a round base and adjustable height is also available for no more than $15.
    Comes with a head mount the mike just slips into.
    Once you use s hand PTT on a cable that fits in your palm like a computer mouse, you may get to like it.
    This is what we do to make things work.
    Good luck.

N2EY likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally the 4th pin is for power.

4. WV8RKO

KM3F, I have a PTT switch, it works with the Heil cable. I also have a Neewer boom with shock mount, so I good there. My problem is when I push the PTT switch, it keys the transmitter but no mic audio. I am thinking that it has to do with the 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR adapter that I am using. That is why I was asking on either getting a Heil mic to match the 4 pin XLR cable or get a Heil 3 pin XLR cable. They are both about $40.00 to $50.00.

5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure if the mike lead is open for any reason.
    Use an Ohm meter to find out where the problem is then correct it.
    Use of the proper connector for the radio on the mike cable should fix the issue.
    In my installation I had to do this.
    And I have a lot of audio processing chain.
    You have not lived until you work out Hum issues between balanced and unbalanced points in the chain of specific equipment combinations to get the final result desired...
    Good luck.

6. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

A good source of XLR connectors is a larger Music store.
    Solder up what you need for the radio.
    Good luck.

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heil 4 pin XLR cable for my Kenwood TS-440 : Adapter cable for Heil 4-pin microphones.
    Behringer XM8500 : Professional audio microphone, 3-pin XLR

So you bought a 3-pin to 4-pin XLR Adapter. First Mistake.
    You assumed a Plug-N-Play World .... for your usage of these 2 parts.
    RETURN that part from where you bought it ($$).

QUICK Solution ? BUY the correct Heil Adapter cable for XM8500
    SELL the Heil 4-pin Adapter cable for Kenwood ($$).

Alternative #1 ?
    Sell the Bellringer XM8500, then Buy a Heil microphone for your 4-pin adapter cable.

Alternative #2 ?
    Teach a Man to Fish, and leave the bread/soup line.
    LEARN what you Don't Know ... especially if you have limited budget ... and DIY the solution.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    WV8RKO likes this.
  8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Three-pin XLR pinout is 1) Ground (Shield) 2) White 3) Black.

When the microphone is phantom powered, phantom power is applied with Positive equally to both pin 2 and 3 and negative to pin 1, the shield.

Generally speaking, the 4th pin on a 4-pin audio XLR is P.T.T. When the push to talk button is actuated, pin 4 is connected to pin 1 (ground).

9. WV8RKO

For the time being, I am going to get the correct three pin cable for the Behringer mic. Later on I may want to get a Heil mic. I will try to send the adapter back for a refund.

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing
    Revision 6, December 5, 2016
    by Jim Brown, K9YC
    http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Jim discusses RFI issues and the “Pin 1” problem with XLR connectors.
    Print, Read, and Learn to avoid future RFI issues (pulling your “hair out”).