A Video History of Ham Radio HF Rig Visual Design—Military to Modern

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your note from VK land. I've got a VK contact story to include in one of the videos. Q

2. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great. Q

3. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point, JBL. That would also take us into home brew territory. Much harder to get a handle on. Q

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

AJ6KZ --

Do you have any favorite, classic rigs? Quin, K8QS

5. K8QS

K8QS Ham Member QRZ Page

Don, watch one of our upcoming videos for further feedback. We are addressing your advice head-on. Thanks. Quin, K8QS

6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Video! You missed the Johnson Viking II. I will ha V to say. I am guilty of having a Collins S Line Station. For AM Johnson Viking II with the NC 300. I also have a DX60 Hallicrafters S-40 and the Hallicrafters TV. I have these in storage but all work as they should.

7. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video, actually watched it to the end. Thank you.

@K8QS Are you familiar with Murphy B40 'Lighthouse receivers' ?

494C49D3-1299-4787-8676-A2A0FFB9DDFF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    PU2OZT, AJ6KZ and W3AMT like this.
  8. K8OS

K8OS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@ZS1SBW Thanks for asking; I've not seen these before. However, I am indeed familiar with the Yaesu FRG-7.. I have one in my own collection!

ZS1SBW likes this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The B40 (MF/HF) and B41 (VLF/LF)
    were a "staple" in immediate post-WW2 naval communications. They had identical exteriors.

Their weight (102 lb) could cause unpleasant surprises for maintenance personnel if they were mounted on top of rack cabinets as they were on the 50s era Swedish submarines.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

PU2OZT and ZS1SBW like this.
  10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely. The Collins 75A-4 receiver and KWS-1 transmitter, just on looks alone. I do not have the space or money or time to tinker with these, but to me they represent exactly what my imagination would come up with in thinking about old radios.