A Trip to Fix a Ham Radio Repeater

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Sep 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, the issue was related to packet collisions from the VOTER board on the Ethernet port. The issue is resolved by lowering the negotiation rate to 10M and the switch I had before wasn't a managed switch with the ability to do that.

KD5BVX likes this.
  2. N6KZB

N6KZB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job OM. Nice scenery on the way to the site.
    Bottom line is, you fixed the problem.

It not always about the radio...........

73 :)

KC7ZXY and KD5BVX like this.
  3. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. I misread your call sign and first audio wasn't French Canadian :)

Love the country scenery. I sure wish I could have made it ashore while active duty.

The site looks VERY tidy. The sites I've worked it are, well, NOT tidy and often just plain stupid and/or dangerous.

Thanks for the trip and a peek under the skirt!

j

4. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to work on repeater sites years ago. One was on top of a 850' tall prominent building. That required security clearance then a trip up the elevator into a revolving restaurant. Yes the entire dining area rotated around for a 360° view. Finally a trip up the service elevator to the roof where only a 6" ridge stopped one from being blown off. Rather nerve racking.

Another one was located on top of the highest hill in several counties. The issue was one of the big 3 auto manufacturers owned the 4800 acres of land as it was their proving grounds for prototype vehicle testing. You can imagine how strict their security was to the point you could not drive on their property unless it was in a vehicle they produced. Lucky for me and the club as I worked there and knew the right people hi hi.

Those were fun times as both locations had magnificent views.

5. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe he meant to use a "Bird" to fly the meter up there???

6. KA5DJS

KA5DJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the point should be bring along all tools to the onsite job you may need to effect a fix.

7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on the video and the problem, he did.

I get what you’re saying and don’t disagree but watching the video we see he was needing to change out networking gear.