ad: M2Ant-1

A Tribute to Karl

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AC7RG, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9MT

W9MT Ham Member QRZ Page

While I cannot say that I was a really close friend of Karl's, I did talk with him on the air several times in the dawning days of 2m FM in the early 1970's. As such, I'd like to add a bit more of the human side of the Karl I met on the air for those who are following this thread....

The big 2m FM repeaters in those days here in the Chicago Area were called CFAR (Chicago FM Amateur Repeater, 147.45/.50 in and 147.75 out) and CMFC (Chicago FM Club, 146.16/.76, standard split). Karl would often be driving his daughter somewhere in the afternoon and one could always immediately recognize Karl's mobile signal with its characteristic background alternator whine.

It really wasn't offensively loud...just recognizable. It drove some of the repeater purists crazy, but I just found it easy to identify Karl's signal before I heard a single word of audio or a callsign.

Everyone was running converted Motorola FM gear in those days (usually purchased from Art Householder's Spectronics store in Oak Park, IL). I had a 1 channel, 2 Watt HT200 talkie that I carted to school daily on the bus and subway. As his 2m FM mobile Karl ran an old converted T43GGV taxi or police radio laden with tubes and a vibrator power supply. The thing probably put out 25-35 Watts and pulled 40 Amps or so from the car's electrical system. If you remember cars from the mid-1960's (Karl had one of that vintage), their electrical systems stank. No wonder there was alternator whine!!! (BTW, he didn't have any bad diodes in the alternator either.)

To me, the background whine was analogous to the sound of a brasspounder's fist. It was also an invitation to a nice ragchew with Karl while I rode the bus home.

Karl must have a lot of friends who remember him very fondly. Why can I say this? About 6 weeks ago another of Karl's ham equipment estate items was sold on EBay.... I was shocked that anyone would bid up an MFJ249 (and NOT 259, 259B or 269) antenna analyzer up to over $300, until I saw the blue Dymo label reading "K9AQJ" on the item's front panel. (Other 249's go for about $125 on EBay. This one obviously had sentimental value to the bidder.)

I was sad to have an EBay listing be Karl's obituary listing for me, but I was really surprised that he was still with us until recently, knowing that he was in his 60's back when I was in college.

I am happy that Karl derived great joy and satisfaction from his very long term ham hobby, through and beyond writing the spark article a couple of years ago.

A final 73's, Karl. It is a privilege to be able to say we QSO'ed!!!

2. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in agreement here with all who have written. Wouldn't it be great to gather stories together from Amateurs who have had this kind of experience and put into a book? Someone who has the know how and resources. I am sure that there are many stories of hams over the years who have touched many lives. These are indeed is legacy's that are a national treasure. And truly a major part of what the "Golden age of Radio" is all about, and fortunately, can continue. Thanks to the writer for the "tribute to Karl". Moving, appropriate, timely, and wouldn't it be great if all the old gear that some of us have could talk and tell their stories...........
    73' KE0VH

3. N8ERM

N8ERM Ham Member QRZ Page

KC7RG
    NORMAN A BUCKLEY
    22307 MERIDIAN AVE
    BOTHELL WA 98021
    Norman, you placed a wonderfull note on QRZ.COM. What a "Tribute to Karl". Along with Karl you brightened my day. Sure seems to me you and Karl had much in common.
    Best 73,
    Terry Morgan N8ERM

4. N5JO

N5JO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very, VERY well written  piece, OM.  Congrats.  It is the history
    of a man that reminds us to be more humane.  As a species, we are not
    doing a very good job of treating each other well.  It would be so
    much worse, however, without recollections and rememberences of
    people like Karl.

Thanks,

Mike

5. n0phw

n0phw QRZ Member QRZ Page

Thank you for posting that article. I'm disturbed at how little interest people have in silent keys' homebewed radio equipment. I've gotten dozens of receivers, transmitters, and various accesories at flea markets and estate sales for a pittance. One piece in particular comes to mind. It's a five band receiver with seventeen tubes, a National HRO turns counting dial, a Collins 455 Khz IF strip, and tons of other top-of-the-line parts. This ham had spent months building this radio and had spared no expense. His construction techniques were meticulous, parts placement well thought out, and mechanical points were extremely well machined. I got this radio for 1$ because nobody else wanted it.
    I hope when I become a silent key someone will share my sentiments and give 1$ to my widow for it.
    My shack is full of silent keys' projects. Even today some things are still sacred.

6. W9HC

W9HC Guest

Someone said that the mystique is gone from ham radio.  I can understand that.  I thought so too at one point.  Then I got into QRP cw and it was as if those splendid old days were reborn.  

Back in my novice days, I had an HQ 145X and a DX60b.  My antenna was a simple dipole. Contacts seemed like nothing less than miracles.  I knew the theory of how radio worked, but it never ceased to amaze me that it actually DID work. When I made a contact, I'd dutifully complete the log, jot the QSL card, then dash downstairs to recite the adventure to my wife (who, later on, became a student in my ham class and got her license too).

Now, when I work Europe or Africa with 5 watts or less, it's like the novice miracle all over again!  I typically sit and savor the QSL for a minute or two, fill out the log, jot a QSL perhaps, then dash upstairs to brag about the miracles of the ether.  "CO8 on one watt?  That's great honey," she says.  

It's just like it was back in the good old days.  The mystique isn't gone.   It was there all along.  I just had to find it again, right where I had left it.

Steve
    W9HC

7. AD4C

AD4C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very heart touchy story I ended reading it with lots of tears in my eyes,God keep Karl in heaven enjoying eternal peace and God bless americans for been so lovely people.
    Hector AD4C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.