A Review of the Radio Shack® Touchscreen SAME Weather Radio with AM/FM

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE5FNB, Jan 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE5FNB

KE5FNB Ham Member QRZ Page

https://ericjohnmonier.com/2018/09/...ck-touchscreen-same-weather-radio-with-am-fm/

Above is the link to this review as it appears on my blog.

I wrote it in September of 2018, but it still rules my kitchen counter to this day.

Here is the review, submitted for your approval:

As stated before, I have been both afraid of as well as fascinated by the weather since I was a toddler.

I’ve also been fascinated by all sorts of technological devices since then.

I’m not sure if this interest was acquired or is it in my blood.

All in all, because of this interest, I frequently shopped at Radio Shack, until I no longer could.

In February of 2015, the Radio Shack in Southland Mall was shutting down and going out of business.

I went there to see what sales I could find.

I found an $80 for around $8, a Radio Shack 12-996.

In September of 2018, this radio is still going strong.

This particular model gets the AM (Medium Wave) and FM broadcast bands in addition to the Weather Radio channels.

It is “Public Alert” certified, meaning I can program the SAME code for any County or Parish and have it only go off for when there is an alert for that specific administrative division

It also has an alarm clock.

For power, it runs on either four AA batteries or an AD/DC wall adapter.

The front firing speaker on this radio has superb audio quality.

The entire controls on this radio are controlled by a touchscreen interface, something which required me getting used to. At the time of purchase, I didn’t even have a touchscreen phone.

However, once I had gotten accustomed to this device, it has become a faithful companion.

When I lived with my wife, this was a very useful bedside radio.

After her and I split up, and I moved out, I kept it and it became an equally useful kitchen radio.

As of now it rules my kitchen counter and keeps me entertained and informed while cooking, washing dishes or doing anything else that requires me to be in my kitchen.

Aesthetically, it reminds me of one of those kitchen radios that housewives had during the Golden Age of Radio. Granted it has an integrated circuit instead of vacuum tubes, a touch screen instead of knobs and buttons and a PLL tuner instead of a dial tuner, but the form factor still reminds me of one of those antique radios from that era. I’ll go as far as to say how I frequently think of a woman walking home with her family from church on December 7, 1941, then going into her kitchen and listening to the radio as she prepares Sunday Dinner. Soon she hears about the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor, then walks back to her church to pray for the victims and her country.

The radios of those days only received AM, however, this radio also gets FM and Weather.

Hopefully, it will keep me entertained and informed for years to come.

It faithfully picks up every weather alert I have programmed it to and blares a loud siren.

It also picks up every AM and FM station within reason and range.

This is one [recent] Radio Shack product that, I feel still has a superior quality.

There are only two things I don’t like about this radio and they are:
    I wish the backlight could be turned off when the radio is on standby.

I wish the AM and FM tuners could have an international mode where FM tunes in 100 or 50 KHz steps and AM could be set to tune in 9 KHz steps while in other countries, but have the default 10 KHz when being used in North America.

I know the radio isn’t really designed for AM DXing, a better AM antenna should have been internally installed, but I myself am an AM DXer, so that is why I suggested this feature.

I would have never bought this radio at its MSRP, but since I got it on clearance, I do not regret my purchase at all.

These are a bit hard to find brand new these days, but eBay frequently carries them.

If you can get one, you will enjoy it.

All in all, I give this product a 4.5 out of 5 stars!

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

May, dey mus still got dem Radio Shack in Sot Lafourche dere boog.

3. KE5FNB

Where is it?

There was one in Cut Off, then there was one across from Wal Mart in Galliano.

I know there is also one in Plaquemine.

PS I appreciate the Cajun dialect!

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Me I dont go to Galiano cuz dat dam police is dere wit radar catching speedin cars. He chase me down to Larose where I loss him at da PHI base dere.

I had me a girl frien from Cut Off. Her name is Laura Tamplain. She got her mamere dat live in Reserve up da river. You know dat Leon Godcheaux found Reserve? Das rite. He on his boat goin up da river and say "Reserve dis place for me".

P.S. My mother was from Franklin, La.

5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

It works, but I prefer to wet my finger and hold it to the breeze with a hardy "YAR" like the guy on the Gorton's Fishsticks box, whom I resemble more each day (the guy, not the box).

QRZ could use a section for reviews of radios and gadgets and weather radios, etc., like that other site with lots of reviews where nearly everyone rates his item a "5" and "Best Ever!"

[​IMG]

G3ZPF likes this.
  6. KE5FNB

Actually it's Golden Meadow (which is directly below Galliano) where all the speed traps are.

All in all I think all the Radio Shacks in Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes are gone and the closest one is now in Plaquemine (the city not the Parish.)

7. KE5FNB

There were some Garrity G-Tech 6 Volt Floating Lanterns that always reminded me of fisherman. Unfortunately like all of Garrity's good flashlights, they were discontinued!

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Das rite on Golden Meadow (at the church)! Me ah been gon too long. One time dat heliomocopter pilot got a ticket in Golden Meadow and when he pick me up dat nex day in dat bird in Harahan, he flew down to Golden Meadows and flew dat Bell 206L heliuomocopter thru Golden Meadow at about 50 feet and at over 110 knots. He flew dat ting and me I mooned out the front window. Dat police saw us and point dat radar gun at us.

G3ZPF likes this.
  9. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

You mooned out of a helicopter at a speed cop who busted the pilot when he was in his car? :cool: