ad: TiltPlate-1

A request for help from Spain

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by G4SDM, Sep 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G4SDM

G4SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone know any fellow RV Hams out here, in Spain?
    My XYL and I are bit stranded at a town named Bembibre. 100km West of Lyon. IN62so to be almost precise. Our lovely old VW Westfalia Florida blew a radiator hose in the heat yesterday. We were recovered from the Autovia and are currently in a cheap hotel with the Florida locked up in a the yard belonging to the recovery Co. It’s 4am and the locals are having a sing-song down in the street!
    I cannot do anything about the happy locals, other than shut the window (and stifle in the heat)
    BUT
    If I could find a Ham over here, maybe not too far away,
    1/. who could help with the translation - I speak no Spanish
    and
    2/. who could might possible know a resourceful motor engineer who can help with the part; its a very simple right angled job - VW part 075121103E - but as the Florida is 27 years old it’s not a matter of going to the local VW dealer and getting one off the shelf.
    I am going to try and get some sleep now but I’ll check back in the morning. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Best 73's
    Steve

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Steve,
    You could ask Julio @EB1BSV in the data base forum, he lives in Spain. Or you can P/M him if you like, or e-mail him at EB1BSV@qrz.com

You are not that far away from him,

help1.jpg

73, Lisa :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure which hose you need, so I cant see if there is a "Universal" type hose that might work in it's place.
    There is a site that shows various hoses, BUT your part number doesn't match
    http://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=radiator+hose
    the only hose I see with a big right angle is from the Radiator to Thermostat that fits the 86-91
    Part #: 025-121-062E-AM
    VW Part #: 025121062E
    That doesnt fit vehicles with Automatic transaxles unless used with an external cooler kit
    using your part number to search on E-Bay I come up with this which includes a list of all the vehicles that use the part number you specified.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...h=item25ed0d278f:g:TaYAAOSwsABaeriK#vi-ilComp
    Volkswagon LT 4x4 hose
    Might be a NAPA NBH9816

N6QIC likes this.
  4. KD8DEY

Other Manufactureres Napa equivalent

Gates 28475
    Ac Delco 16199M (88907439)
    Continental Elite 63912
    Dayco 80412

N6QIC likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

Only 2 Parts stores listed in Bembibre (Both closed until Monday 9Am )

Hijos De Isaac González S L
    +34 987 51 18 45

Talleres Hnos. López Pérez (PEUGEOT)
    +34 987 51 00 25

Maybe you can find somebody there with enough English to help
    Perhaps somebody at the recovery yard, that Recognizes the manufacturers names and can read the part numbers....
    according to Google Translate AC Delco written, Un C Delco....
    (Sounds like Uuhn-Say they Go) uno says uno noi-vey noi-vey maydroh (1699M)
    Ymmv

6. KD8DEY

Looking around with info from the part number given by the OP, (Unless he gave the wrong number) It shouldn't be too critical , Appears to be a piece of 16 inch long 3/4 inch I.D. reinforced heater hose pre molded to fit...

7. N6QIC

Please post back and let us know how your broken radiator saga turned out.

Thanks,
    73, Lisa

8. N6QIC

9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N6QIC likes this.
  10. G4SDM

G4SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey All
    Thanks for the interest in my troubles and for the helpful info above.
    A potted history of what transpired follows:
    Having been 'low-loadered' into the vehicle pound belonging to the recovery co: we were ushered to the outside of the security fence and left to our own devices with the gate locked. This was 13:00 on Saturday!
    For anyone who knows Spain they will be aware that this is NOT a good time if you wish to get something fixed :mad:!!
    Before disappearing the driver did give us the number of a taxi co, so we were able to get ourselves to a not-so-great hotel in Bembibre. It was a festival weekend, which went on until 04:00 in the morning. :eek:
    That was Sat night. For Sunday night (and Monday) we relocated ourselves, with the help of the insurance co with whom I had taken out breakdown cover to the exact opposite. A lovely country hotel. www.lacasagrandedelvalle.com
    Which for anyone traveling in Spain and wanting a few nights tranquility away from it all, I would wholeheartedly recommend.
    I arranged to be picked up 1st thing Monday morning and taken back to the pound. On arrival the insurers told me the LT was being moved (on the low-loader) to a VW dealer in Ponferrada. I expressed a desire for this NOT to happen but was told I did not have much choice!
    Needless to say they were not helpful as the hose was not a supported or stocked part (but available from Germany).
    BUT just over the road on the industrial estate was a performance engine workshop. I wandered in with a pic of the hose on my iPad. One of the guys spoke some English and was able to point out the two nearby (500 metres) parts dealers. Who it turned out had a piece of hose the right diameter with a 90deg angle. I fitted it myself -All the VW dealer had to do was cut it to size (I had not taken a hacksaw with me :( but did have my tools).
    So we are now back in the UK having managed to get the last berth on the Thursday ferry out of Bilbao.
    I would particularly like to thank Julio @EB1BSV whose wife gave me a call but I was unable to get over the language gap to convey what I needed.

BEST REGARDS (73's) to all.
    and thanks again.
    Steve
    G4SDM

N6QIC likes this.